Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

Can I be denied rent due to my previous landlord's foreclosure?

I applied for an apartment and then landlord denied my application simply because the previous address I lived at/rented, was a home that was foreclosed. (I was not the owner or associated with the owner, I was renting from the owner, had a rental lease agreement, and I was not aware of the foreclosure until the last minute). I have no eviction history and both of my previous landlords gave good references.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That is highly illogical of the potential landlord. To me, it's a sign that I'd dodged a bullet. Who knows how what other crazy things this landlord would do (or refuse to do) while you lived there.

• 6 months ago

Unfortunately, that is not a protected class. He could deny you because he didnt like your shirt. Move along to the next one.

• 6 months ago

Did you pay rent? The landlord's financial problems has zero bearing on your obligation to pay your rent as agreed to in your lease agreement.

• 6 months ago

You can be denied by any landlord for any reason and they do not have to give you a reason. It would be highly unlikely that you were rejected for that reason. If you stated that you were renting the house, then why would the foreclosure affect you? It would make no sense at all for any landlord to reject you because you rented a house that went into foreclosure. As a renter, you were not responsible for paying the mortgage or property taxes.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Galaxy Star6 months agoReport

That is what I thought. I was not the owner therefore the foreclosure has nothing to do with me yet that is the reason the manager gave me.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

it wouldn't be illegal. a potential LL could look up the address and see its foreclosed....

• 6 months ago

The owner's foreclosure should not show up on YOUR credit history. YOU need to get a copy of your three credit reports to see if that information is listed in error - mistakes do happen. If your report(s) do have erroneous information, you need to contact the reporting bureaus that have it wrong and get that info removed.

If your report(s) do not show anything regarding a foreclosure, then it appears that you have assumed this was the reason for the denial, rather than the new landlord telling you this was why you were denied. Things don't add up.

My credit report shows I lived at that address. It does not say anything about the home being foreclosed. The manager found that out somehow else. She denied my application because she found out that, that home was foreclosed yet I am NOT the owner.

• 6 months ago

Yes, you can, even though it has nothing to do with you.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Not likely.....You were denied for another reason.

• 6 months ago

Not if what you are saying is accurate.

• 6 months ago

Unless the place told you specifically that the reason was the previous landlord having the property foreclosed, then there is probably another reason that no one is telling you.

The manager specifically told me that that was the reason which is why it confused me because my previous landlords foreclosure has nothing to do with me.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.