Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 months ago

Is it okay for me to use the child support money to save up for my own place?

I live at home with my parents and my few month old baby. I work 2 minimum wage jobs and even then I only make about $200 a week but I also have an almost $200 car payment every month.. Would it be okay to put the child support money aside so I can save up for a place for me and my baby then use the money I get from my jobs to pay my car payment and diapers and stuff?

Sure, why not? of course you can.

Yes, of course.

You can do whatever you want with it.

I don't see why not. Provided you qualify for the benefits you receive, and those the money is intended for isn't going without, I'd say it's fine. After all your own place will benefit your child, when eventually you can afford your own place.

• Judy

yes........................................

use the child support to pay for the child's needs and save your work income. otherwise the father can argue you don't need that much child support.

it is fair to use child support to pay for half your car expenses since it is used to transport the child. it should be paying for half the child's food/breast feeding supplies, half the clothing, half the diapers, half the housing.

if you are not paying 'rent' to your parents, the child should be. if a room for rent in your area goes for $100/week, child support should be paying your parents $50/week. it would be their option to save that money as a gift for you later on to help you move into your own place.

in reality, it doesn't matter if its child support money or your paycheck paying for the car and diapers....but you need to be able to account for how the amount of the child support is used for the child..

you could make a case for the child support going to 1/4 of the security deposit, rent......

you should be covering 75% of the rent with your income....50% for you and 25% for the child...with the child support paying the other 25%

Yes , but with such a low income you won't be moving out anytime too soon

That depends. Are you paying your parents rent and a sufficient amount of money to have to put up with your child as well, living in their home? Save whatever left over money you have but don't shortchange your parents. I wonder how you can afford to have a car, pay for the registration and insurance, gas and maintenance, on minimum wage, and with a child to support. Are you getting child support from the father of the child? Something tells me that you need to re-examine your priorities and what's right and wrong, and good versus bad choices.

i dont see why not since youre still using it for a place for you and your baby

Yes, it is meant to help provide for your child. Getting your own place is a big move that will most likely benefit your child. Good luck!