Will my credit be checked as an occupant on an apartment lease? Help!?

My boyfriend has the lease for an apartment in his name. I have no income so i was not on the lease. He was approved and everything but the landlord told us if I am going to be in the apartment 7 consecutive days at any time then I am considered an occupant and I need to do an occupant application. But the problem with that is, I have a broken lease on my name, from about 4 years ago, I was young and stupid and signed my name on a lease with friends who turned out to be really narcissistic people. But anyway the broken lease on my credit, if they run my credit I am almost certain It will be a deal breaker. I heard some landlords only do background checks on occupants, some do credit and background. I have no problem with my background being ran, I have no criminal records the probem will be if my credit is checked. I didn't want to ask the landlord because that would look suspicious. Do you think my credit will be checked?

I might just tell the landlord you won't be around that much and thus don't need to do an application. Then if you are around all day every day and he notices, then do the application or start staying somewhere else every 7th day.

Option 2 is to just do the application and see what he says and go find a different place if he turns you both down. I personally wouldn't turn him down because you have a broken lease from 4 years back (assuming he credit and income are ok) but no idea what he'll check or say.

Yes, the landlord WILL check your credit and run a criminal background check on you. He will also require you to sign the lease.

If the landlord chooses to accept you as a tenant, or not, is up to him.

Not likely and even if it is, credit checks do not show evictions.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

That varies depending on the landlord.

it could be.....up to the landlord

anything is possible , if you want to know you might need to ask him

It depends on the landlord. There is no hard and fast rule. And even if it is checked that doesn't mean you will be denied because you have no financial responsibility to the lease.

Nope...................................

There is one way to find out and that is what you are going to have to do - fill out the application to be a tenant.

• Maxi

No idea what checks this particular landlord will do to find out you will have to ask them