Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 months ago

Blasphemy laws are themselves blasphemous. True or false?

It seems to me that by passing laws creating penalties for blaspheming, people are assuming God is unable to defend himself.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • sarah
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

(Matthew 7:1-5) 7 “Stop judging that you may not be judged; 2 for with the judgment you are judging, you will be judged, and with the measure that you are measuring out, they will measure out to you. 3 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye but do not notice the rafter in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Allow me to remove the straw from your eye,’ when look! a rafter is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to remove the straw from your brother’s eye.

• 6 months ago

true......... there is no Earthly act that can not be forgiven

• 6 months ago

True, it only protects believer's feelings

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Seems like god should be able to handle it

Attachment image
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

False. The law wasn't there because God requires the law to defend him, but because we require the law to defend us against those who would provoke God to wrath.

• 6 months ago

False - blasphemy laws are stupid since there's no god but they're not themselves blasphemous.

• 6 months ago

It goes wrong, doesn't it. Somehow gets twisted no matter so called good intention.

And can those ever be misused!!

• 6 months ago

No.

I see no reason to believe any deity is real, so there are no holy laws or dogma to offend, so there is no such thing as blasphemy.

I think blasphemy laws are just plain wrong. If you can't deal with me talking smack about your religion, then maybe you better find a religion with a better foundation to it.

• They are man-made laws -- another element of the Control Factor in religion -

even to control what people say and how they say it.

What better ways to keep the common man down with his head hanging...

• I agree. The old gods were often involved in humorous stories that played at their expense. It wasn't blasphemous, they did it with taste, but it was just in fun. Nobody was offended.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.