Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 months ago

Do you think that someone who works full time (40 hrs/week) in America should make enough to support a family, get health insurance, etc?

If so, then you should support the fight for $15/hour minimum wage!

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, because otherwise these workers must rely on state & federal assistance which is funded by the taxpayer. Since the taxpayer is funding it anyway, we might as well pay more at the register and keep the money out of the hands of the government.

• 6 months ago

What work does this person do? How much education does it require? How many other people can do the work? How large is the family? You left too many unanswered questions to get an intelligent answer. If you just want to increase the minimum wage, why not just make it $100/hr, or $200/hr? I DEFY you to cite the part of the Constitution that gives the federal government the authority to dictate wages and benefits for employees of non-government employers. BETCHA CAN'T!!

• CMoney6 months agoReport

Interstate commerce clause

• 6 months ago

the higher the minimum wage is the higher store prices will be

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Having a federal Minimum wage of $15 dollars is not a good idea tbh.

I do agree that minimum wage should increase, however, by how much depends on the region. Increaseing the min.wage in say New York to $15 dollars won't negatively impact their economy while on the other hand, increasing minimum wage on a small town where they still work for $7.25 an hour will drastically ruin their economy (thats more than a 100% increase in wages!!).

You pay almost 10-20$ for a simple meal in New York (cost of living is higher) and thus higher wages makes sense. Ina s mall, town, a whole large meal can cost me about $5-$7 dollars while I can still rent for $400 a month (and thus a "livable wage" in these areas are a different amount than those in say big cities). Increasing min wage to 15 in such a short time would completely ruin local economies. I agree that we should increase min. wages, say, on a federal level to $8 first. And then after 5 years, to $9. And adjust it to inflation (increasing about 2 cents per year). On a state level, some places may need 10-13$ min. wages. Some cities/ area might even need $15 -$18 dollars minimum wage! But it all depends on the region. I merely disagree on the "FEDERAL wage" being $15 dollars an hour.

• out2lunch4now2
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I disagree with the federal government setting ANY wages for anyone not working for it. There is NO Constitutional authority for it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Actually $15 is pretty meager. $20 would be more in line with a "living" wage.

Start by asking for 20. Let them negotiate you down to $16.50. They think they won and you get more that the $15 you were willing to settle for. Repeat until you get the $20 you originally wanted.

• 6 months ago

certainly....that's why we should uphold strong values in character and personal accountability to ensure that people achieve those things on their own without becoming dependents of an all-powerful State...

do you think that anybody who shows up to class but puts in zero effort deserves a diploma just for showing up? what if that person is also a distraction that takes attention away from other, hard-working students?

what does such a "benevolent" system do to the value of a diploma in general? what does guaranteeing benefits for minimal effort do to the value of effort in general?

• 6 months ago

nope, I don't think a burger flipper should make enough money to support a family.

gain some skills and get a real job

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

How about:

(a) not having a family unless and until you can afford it (like I am) and

(b) getting medical costs down by removing the threat of lawsuits that drive up malpractice insurance?

• ...Show all comments
    • `
      Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

That's because Austin misunderstood the root problem. Capping settlement amounts does nothing to reduce the legal fees and court costs which is what drives up malpractice premiums. It's never been about payouts. People in the know insisted we were barking up the wrong tree even at the time.

• 6 months ago

Yes! Full-time workers deserve to live with dignity! Support the fight for $15, universal sick and maternity leave, universal health insurance, etc.

• 6 months ago

What trade , profession or career ?

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

kinda depends on what his work is worth...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.