Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

My dog got neutered three weeks ago and was scabbing over. Took ecollar off and he licked the area causing it to bleed.?

I got my dog neutered three weeks ago. It looked healed so I took off his ecollar yesterday and found him licking the area with a bit of blood. Blood went away pretty quickly and there was not much of it but it was still scary. No more bleeding today but it does look a bit red. I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow but want to hear if anything like this has happened to anyone and can share what they did. Thanks.

Use a shock collar. Every time it tries to lick itself, zap it.

If the stitches weren't solulable, they should have been able to be taken out 10 days after this simple surgery, assuming it was a straight-forward castration. There was no need to keep that collar on for that long!! His life should be back to normal by now. If you are concerned about the wound still, have your vet take a look but in all honesty, it should have healed up by now!

Then put the collar back on and take it to the vet. Why haven't you?

• Hannah

Ok. Go to the vet...

ok now do you have a question also perhaps

• PR

That is kind of long to have the e-collar on after a neuter or a spay. The neuter should be a relatively easy operation with a very small incision. Ask the vet about this.

I agree with the other posters, he feels different, itchy possibly a little sore pretty much like bad paper cut, not exactly pain but different. Nerves were cut during the incision so skin shouldn’t be all that irritated, either the dissolving stitches or glue may be wearing off causing the chewing or itching reaction.

The neuter site should be healed by now, I suspect its secondary irritation caused by the licking, put dogs cone collar back on and check with that the vet to see what they say. They may say keep the collar on another x amount of time or just watch to make sure he doesn’t keep licking or chewing. Our collie kept licking especially at night so we made him sleep with his collar on, was free from it during the day when I could watch him.

Try and keep the dog from licking until after you see the vet, don’t put anything on the site to help it stop bleeding or any antibiotic. Unless it’s dripping blood leave it alone, if he is dripping all over call the vet to let them know, otherwise if it’s just raw and red, may be oozing a bit let the vet do the proper treatment and check the surgical site to make sure everything’s healed up proper (they usually are healed up greatly now)

Good luck, keep your boy quiet and on leash for potty breaks until after the vet just in case so he doesn’t get irritated more.

Should have healed long ago. Stitches only stay in for two weeks & it should be healed long before now. Did he just chew himself a new sore? or did the wound open & bleed? If the wound open, yes you need to see a Vet but if he just aggravated the wound & created another sore. Let it be. If he is not dripping blood & the wound is not constantly bleeding, I think your dog will be fine. But if you are still worried, then yes take it in to see a Vet. I would not go running to the Vet until I saw what was really happening. Check it out more & you may not need to the extra cost of a Vet right now.

• Maxi

Three weeks ago.... the stitches 'normally' come out after 2 weeks ( or disolving ones were used) so the dog nibbled at the scabs because it was itchy which has now inflammed it...... as you are taking it to the vet they will just tell you to put the cone back on...I would put aquas cream or 100% pure aloe vera gel on it to ensure it heals and is cool and make sure the dog leaves it alone and would not have used a cone at all, but that is me/my dogs and the reality is after 3 weeks you should be 'back to normal' lead walking daily, mental stimulation, giving the dog something else to chew like a raw carrot/raw bone ( so it chews that and not itself)

A perfect question for YOUR VET. So...what did your VET say about this?

• Mark

This asker probably did the surgery herself with the plastic scalpel her "Dr Barbie Playset".