Kat asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

Can I have a service animal?

So hi I suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD, and anxiety attacks. I also suffer from suicidal thoughts. I have been to two psychiatric hospitals within the last year. When I have anxiety attacks I'm not always immediately aware of my surroundings, but it's not a super huge issue. But I'm having a lot of trouble lately and it is really easy for me to have panic attacks around people, and sometimes extreme PTSD attacks. I think a service animal might also help me because I can sometimes forget that anyone cares, and really want to just die. I don't know if I could have a service animal though, or is that an emotional support animal. If it were a service animal I would be able to take it anywhere but if it wasn't I couldn't necessarily take it to school or anywhere where I would need it it would only be at my house. But I don't know if I qualify.

I train dogs and have trained service dogs for mental health conditions. Short answer, yes. Legally speaking they only have to be able to perform 1 service. Whatever that is... it could be sitting on your chest during a panic attack to restrict breathing. It could be checking the house for intruder for your ptsd. It could be memorizing the last 10 minutes of movements you’ve made and returning you to that point if you are known for having flash backs and getting lost. It could even be something simple like putting space between you and other people to prevent anxiety. Those are services. Period.

A therapy dog is just a fancy title for every ‘other’ dog in the world.

This is a rather long, but through answer, so bear with me in reading it carefully.

The difference between an emotional support Animal and a Service Animal is as follows: A service animal is trained to do one or more specific service tasks that mediate a disability. An Emotional service animal is not trained to do specific tasks- rather ESAs do nothing more than regular "dog" stuff. Both however are trained on "how to behave themselves in public" which are known in the lingo as "Public Access Skills". Showing affection to the handler and other "regular dog" stuff is notably not a service task under the meaning of the ADA. (The Americans With Disabilities Act). The major difference of consequence between the two is of course Service Dogs are protected by federal law (meaning you can sue if someone doesn't allow a service dog under most but not all circumstances), where as ESAs don't have protection of federal law and only have protection under few state laws.

Therefore, in some cases of PTSD an animal can be a service animal. For example if the animal fetches medication, applies pressure to an individual to "move" them away from a PTSD trigger and out of harms way, "clears" the handler's apartment to make the handler less afraid of entering, etc. it becomes a service animal under ADA. However, If the dog merely provides physical comfort in the same manner that other animals would provide without unusual or specialized training (i.e. licking, etc.), it is an ESA.

If you have a PTSD and your specific symptoms can be partially or completely alleviated by a service animals service task, you would then qualify under ADA for a service dog. There is no "formal certification" for a service dog under the ADA (in fact the supreme court of the United States has interpreted that the law says you can train the dog yourself) and the ADA likewise does not require a doctor to "prescribe" a service animal either. Also, state laws must be interpreted to be consistent with the ADA. (while the states can grant more rights than the ADA, they can't "take away" from the protections granted by the ADA under a legal doctrine known as "federal preemption" and the supremacy clause of the United States Constitution.)

Notably, places like schools, stores, ect. may only legally ask you two questions to determine whether or not the dog is covered by ADA: the first question is "Is the dog trained to do a service task" and the second is "Does the service task mitigate a disability". It is illegal under ADA to ask what disability you have, to ask you to "demonstrate" the service dog's skill, or other similar questions.

• Layne

They are really expensive and that is NOT fair.

• Footprints6 months agoReport

no dogs raised and trained since birth are but not all. Depends on the service. I know someone that adopted an ‘aggressive’ Pitt bull from a shelter and trained him herself for 8 months. Now he’s a papered service dog and quite amazing.

Yes most certainly you can

You should try.

• patty

if not possible then just get a normal dog.

I told you, we are getting you a dog. http://assistancedogunitedcampaign.org/index.html There are lots of places to check. I do not think the problem will be getting the dog. It will be can we count on MOM to help and how you going to feed the thing?

Its also still a question are you a troll? LOL I'd be getting a service dog for people in Africa if you trolling me.

Call a service dog training center and see what the requirements are to get a dog trained to help

I also am not sure if I could because I don't have a whole lot of money and the cost is really expensive

• Footprints6 months agoReport

No it’s not. You can train them yourself using YouTube. Depending on what you want to train for.

yes, you can, they are good for many things like fetching you avocados for you toast