Do jobs really check references?

I don’t think I ever had my references

I don’t think I ever had my references checked

For my job I had to give details of 4 references and they were all checked.

Most companies know that references are completely useless anyway because people game the system and only provide references that will speak very highly of them. Sometimes they even go as far to have their friends and family pose as fake references. Do you wanna sit around checking these references and listening to how great this candidate is from their friends and family members all day? Completely senseless waste of time.

Also, many larger companies with legal departments only allow the verification of facts like dates of employment, pay rate, job duties, etc. They don't want to give their personal opinion of a former employee because if they did they could end up in legal trouble when that person sues them, pays off the judge and wins.

The job market is a fiercely competitive environment and people gotta be ruthless if they really want that job. It really takes a certain kind of person. Almost a criminal kind of person. You gotta be willing to do whatever it takes when your livelihood is on the line although most people won't admit it.

So, as a hiring manager, you gotta figure out a way to overcome that. If I were you I'd secretly check Yahoo Answers for their responses or install spyware on their computers or something.

• Judy

some do. some don't even ask for them.

Depends on the job, the better the job, the more likely they check.

i think a lot of them do

Some still do, but it's not nearly as widespread as it used to be. People started suing former employers, blaming them for their inability to get new jobs because of bad references. Employers started to instruct their employees to either not give references, or to only confirm minimal and basic information such as dates of employment. This was followed by a bunch of hiring managers no longer bothering to check references because they weren't going to learn anything useful.

During my career we always checked references. We mostly limited ourselves to verifying places, dates, job titles, title of the manager they reported to and things like that. We did not generally get into anything subjective (personality, conflicts, would they hire the person back, etc.). Answering anything like that many times is inaccurate and could lead to the other company facing a lawsuit .

• A.J.

References are sometimes checked, but the information is generally limited. They are often used to assess what you say in interviewing versus what you show and sometimes you get asked about your past jobs.

Lying on a resume allows them to fire you with cause at any time if you get hired.

Education references are easy to check. Some of the history is about timeline continuity.

For some jobs, all of the information you provide is verified. It very much depends upon the job.

If you state your references are not checked, it is likely about jobs where the references are unimportant.

Younger people today seem to have lost in-person communication skills essential in an interview, and the interview process is critical. The resume and application is only a screening process to get candidates for interviewing.

When my husband got hired by a blue chip firm 5 years ago they checked every single thing on his resume down to the last detail. As he has been working for 35 years, that was an impressive undertaking. He was not allowed to start until HR had cleared him. It was ok, he knew everything would check out but it took 3 weeks to process. I think there was also a criminal record check.

If you are asking about personal references, most firms do not even ask for those any more. They verify that you worked where you said you worked doing the job listed on the dates you supplied. Same goes for your education and awards.

well, with the rash of law suits now days, most old employers will only say "He worked here from xx-xx-xx to yy-yy-yy" and nothing more ...........................