lilz asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 5 months ago

Why can't I be friends with everyone? Did I do something wrong?

I have sort of drifted from my old good, you could say best, friend over the past few months. We are still friends and all but it's not like it used to be and sometimes she isn't the best friend to me. For example, she stayed good friends with a guy who really hurt me and she doesn't try to make time for our friendship. So I have gotten a lot closer with some other friends and now she is angry with me. She wants me to choose between her and them, but I really don't want to. But at the same time, I really did enjoy our friendship and the people in our friend group. Anyways, did I do anything wrong? I just don't understand why she does this to me when I am finally happy... :(

Sounds like you have outgrown this best-friendship. You are growing up and widening your circle of friends. Good for you. She hasn't always been nice to you - that's natural too as we all have varying degrees of nice/nasty in our personalities - but she wants to dictate your life to you and that's wrong of her. You do NOT have to choose between one friend and another. Tell her you will be friends with whomever you like and that means both them and her and you don't have to choose one or the other. She'll just have to put up with that decision. If she can't handle it she'll go and that will be more her loss than yours. She's immature and insecure. Just be friendly and firm. Still say Hi to her even if she wants to ignore you. It shows who's the adult.

No, you didn't do anything wrong. Maybe you've begun to outgrow your friendship with this person? I don't know, but it's typical to make new friends as we go along in our lives. And it's also normal to outgrow some of our friendships.

This friend of yours wants you to choose between her and your other friends? Is she a bit psycho? Sounds like it.