Andrea asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

I got in contact with a vaccinated dog, should I be worried?

Recently, my dog bit me and it caused a small scratch and a little bit of bleeding. I also was playing with my dog and it licked me on the face and its saliva accidentally came in contact with my eyes. I immediately washed my eyes with plenty of water after that. But I can't help but be worried.

I was vaccinated on April 11 (which is 4 months and 12 days ago from when I am writing this) and my dog was vaccinated on May 22 (3 months ago). The bite and the saliva contact in my eyes was around 3 days ago. Should I get another shot to prevent the rabies infection on me?

• Hannah

I'm sure you'll be fine. You are just overthinking things. If your eyes go red and won't clear up within a few days, go to the doctor.

Why are you so paranoid about this? I get licked all over all the time, face, hands, arms, legs, what ever skin is exposed. My dogs wash my face, I do go & really wash it but dog saliva is not dangerous in any way.

You must be a city girl & not know much about animals. Your fears are completely unjustified. No reason to fear a dogs saliva.

If you were to do some research on rabies you would feel like an idiot for feeling or fearing this. Be a knowledge seeker & seek out everything about rabies. Knowledge is something NO ONE can take from you.

• Angie

Both you and your dog have been vaccinated for rabies, and you mentioned nothing about a specific incident in which your dog may have been exposed to the virus. If your dog has or may have been exposed to the virus, you should take him to the vet. The vet will know how to best proceed from that point. But again, you have BOTH been vaccinated, so it sounds like you are very much overreacting.

You should, however, keep an eye on the wound, because you are at risk of developing an infection. Contrary to popular belief, a dog's mouth is not sanitary. While they may not carry the same types of bacteria as humans, cats, and other mammals, they still, nonetheless, carry bacteria. Dog bites can cause some pretty nasty infections, in fact, dog bites are HIGHLY prone to infection. Keep the wound clean. If there is redness, swelling, fever, or any other sign of infection, go to see your doctor. If you are concerned about rabies, again, speak to your doctor, but since both you and your dog have been vaccinated, it isn't likely they are going to recommend re-vaccinating you. Others have already mentioned this, but I will reiterate. You should not let your dog lick you in the face. Again, dogs have some pretty nasty bacteria in their mouths. They lick their behinds, genitals, and some dogs eat vomit, eat poop, drink out of toilets, etc. You do not want all the bacteria they carry in your face.

The bigger issue is the fact your dog is biting you. You very much need to retrain your dog, and perhaps you should invest in professional help. Any dog who bites his owner does not respect his owner, and a dog who does not even respect his owner/handler is a potentially dangerous dog. Unless there are extenuating circumstances leading up to the bite such as the dog being in pain, in extreme fear at the particular time in which you were bitten, etc., you have a serious problem, and it needs to be corrected immediately.

• J C

Rabies vaccines prevent a dog from getting rabies - unless your dog was bitten by a rabid animal, your dog will not give you rabies. No clue why you got the rabies vaccine. Letting your dog bite you is the bigger issue here. And licking you in the face is just plain unsanitary, but it will not give you rabies unless of course your dog is rabid. Rabies is spread via saliva, and that can be via licking although that's pretty darn rare. Instead of being paranoid, call your family doctor and ask this question.

The dog is vaccinated. It cannot transmit a disease it doesn't have.

• Jack H

Paranoia is a terrible thing, you're going to worry yourself to death if youre not careful, you have nothing to worry about from rabies, nothing, you've been vaccinated, your dog has been vaccinated. I would say don't worry about it, but that won't work, take care you've done everything right so far...

It's simple. If your canine does not have rabies, then he cannot transmit it to you.

You should be more worried about contracting a bacterial infection.

The whole POINT of having pets vaccinated against rabies is to PREVENT them from becoming rabid. And that would only happen if the animal was bitten by another rabid animal. I don't know why you'd bother to have this vaccination yourself, unless, like vets, you have a risk of being in contact with a RABID animal.

Talk to your GP but I think you are being paranoid. And perhaps it would be a good idea not to let your dog lick your face, knowing where else dogs lick!!

• E. H. Amos

100% correct and yes, you suffer from paranoia and being a HYPOCHONDRIAC. Seek professional therapeutic help.