james asked in PetsDogs · 4 months ago

Is it rude for dogs to pee on other peoples lawns?

So I have a Shiba Inu dog who likes to be very picky in regards to where she does her business... She does not pee in the back nor front yard of my home, so the only option I have is to walk her around the block. As picky as she is, she will only go to the bathroom only on grass which makes it super frustrating when walking her. For those of you guys saying "just train her inside or not to pee on other peoples lawns" I have been spending the last 2 years doing that and she always starts barking or runs away. However, today I was walking my dog around the block and she ended up peeing on someone else's lawn. She did take a number 2, and I respectively picked it up and tied up the bag. Just in the nick of time, the owner of the house storms out and starts yelling at me. I took out my earbuds and apologized to the woman and told her that she hasn't walked all day and I was sorry about my dog. However, my block has a lot of dogs... All the dogs pee on peoples lawns and they seem not to care. But this woman, she was pissed off. So it aroused me to ask this question... is it rude for dogs to pee on other peoples lawns?

• it'd be rude of the lawn owner not to allow a cute dog to pee on his/her lawn. all dogs are cute.

They mark their terrority and it is normal for them to do. Just like Tigers and Lions.

• Anna

Tigers and lions live in the wild. Dogs don't and it's rude of the owners to allow them to pee on people's gardens. Dog urine kills grass.

Personally I think Its rude yes.

If it was a stray peeing on my lawn then that would'nt be so bad, but if you look out your window to see a dog on a leash with the owner stood intentionally peeing on my lawn I dont think I would be too impressed!

Honestly, if it was my lawn I would have an issue with it only if it destroys my lawn.

• Ocimom

If you can avoid it, you should. Females peeing on a lawn can ruin the spot over time. You really need to teach your dog to pee on your own lawn no matter how long it takes. Most dogs will mark their own property by peeing. I would walk her around in your own backyard until she goes. Take her outside in the yard on a leash. Give her 10 mins and encourage her to potty in a certain area. If she does, praise and reward. If she doesn't you kennel or crate her inside for an hour and repeat till she pees in your yard.

If it is literally her garden then of course it is rude. The dog shouldn't be on it at all let alone peeing on the lawn / grass and therefore turning a patch yellow.

She must be onlead and under your control and you need to find an area that she can pee on and head straight there when out. You also should try harder to get her to pee in your own garden.

Is she peeing on their lawn? Or is she peeing on the nature strip? The nature strip is that section of grass between the sidewalk and the road and IS NOT her property.

• Anna E

Yes it is. The point of walking dogs is to exercise them. I have dogs and cannot grow anything but weeds because of dog urine. Some people take extreme care of their lawns and dog urine can damage grass. I have dogs but it pisses me off when this certain neighbor lets his dog take a crap in my yard and he does it all the time.

Urine kills grass. One works hard to maintain a lawn & when you see all the little yellow spots, you know a dog peed there. I would have done the same thing as this woman did or I would throw out pieces of meat coated with chili powder. Burn that dogs mouth for a short while. Dog will associate the chili with the yard & dog won't go into that yard any more.

I also would not hesitate using a water hose on the both of you. Do other dogs pee & poop in your yard?

Yes, it is an unspoken rule, you just don't do those kinds of things. Respect other peoples homes.

• Mark

If dogs did it over a wide area, this would not be a problem, but if ONE spot in a lawn is repeatedly peed on, the grass will die. And how does your dog "run away from you"? Is she not on a leash? Is that even LEGAL where you live? By the way if you mean "on the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street", that is actually PUBLIC right-of-way, so she can pee to her heart's (or should I say "bladder's"?) content there.