linkus86 asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 6 months ago

Is there a biological reason I seem to sweat more when coming indoors?

I live in the god awful humid South and it just seems like when ever I come inside to the air conditioning, sweat pours out of my body more so than out in the hot and humid outdoors. This seems counter-intuitive because in a cooler environment there should be less reason to sweat, right? So I wondered is there something about human biology I am missing? Or is it simply that I am unaware that I am sweating more in the heat?

Favorite Answer

Condensation is the change of the physical state of matter from the gas phase into the liquid phase. Condensation commonly occurs when a vapor is cooled.

Nope. Maybe there's more air circulation or wind outside, or it's drier heat with more moisture inside. Moisture feels hotter.

The body sweats in order to get rid of excess body heat. When the humidity is high, the sweat won't evaporate, and you body is still hot despite sweating profusely. To determine whether it is more humid and hot outdoors, you need to measure them with scientific instruments, instead of using your impression or assumption. To give you a classic example, if you put your left hand in cold water and right hand in hot water, and then you put both hands in the same body of water, then your left hand will feel warm and your right hand will feel cold. Subjective feeling therefore is not as reliable as objective measures.