Anne asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

How to explain my kids we can't have a dog?

I've been searching for a dog that fits us and haven't find anything, and I literally have given up of the idea of having a dog, but I don't know how to explain that to my kids, they won't stop asking for a dog! What should I do?

dude, you need to get them a dog. there's no way around it.

• Sky

Can't find a "good fit" for your family? There are a lot of dogs who do wonderfully with families that have kids. Some breeds are very protective of the children in the family. Talk with a veterinarian for advice on the matter, and then go to a shelter and adopt a dog who seems friendly and mellow. Do not go with a "pedigree" dog or buy from a puppy mill. And if it's a matter that you just don't want a dog then at least have the balls to be honest with them and tell the truth.

If you do get a dog, do NOT get a pit bull. They can be sweethearts but they are also unpredictable and can snap in an instant. In my experience with living with one for a while who was a little great big sweetie who snapped and attacked the other dogs in the house completely unprovoked, I do not trust them at all.

An ordinary dog is a blessing and probably better than a pedigreed pet.

• Anna

But if a dog doesn't fit her lifestyle then it's not a blessing. Dogs are a responsibility and she was looking for a quiet non shedding dog that doesn't need walks. They don't exist except toy dogs

Just be honest with them and just tell them that you couldn't find the right kind of dog for the family.

Just be honest with them.... for what ever are your reasons are, If I didnt want a dog or puppy for EG my reasons would be (something along the lines of)

They are costly, vet bills are extortinate if anything happend and the dog may need long term meds or operations..

You need lots of time aside to train them....

They cant be left along for prolonged hours because its not fair on them...

The up keep cost of quality food, Grooming, Fleaing, Worming and vaccinations...

The time to excersice them in all weather conditions (as dogs are not seasonal)

The finding a dog sitter or kennel fees if you need to go out of town for a day or two or even vaccation...

The daily cleaning up after them.. pet hairs, water spills, picking up the poop...

They would just be a few reasons to expalin to your children as why you are not ready at this present time to have a dog....

Good Luck x

your the boss.and that's that

• *****

"Kids, we are NOT going to get a dog. Stop asking.". If they're old enough, they may be able to volunteer their time at a local shelter, you can check with yours to see what their requirements are.

• C

This is how my mother explained it,"No."

You probably don't even know what you are looking for in a dog or how to choose one.

To be realistic in your search, you may have to make weekend trips to some of the pounds, shelters & rescues in your area. I suggest you let the kids choose the dog. The biggest thing about any dog is the training it gets. Without training it is just a dumb dog. With proper training it will be an obedient dog & follow commands but that takes training.

Hopefully your kids are old enough to do most of the training. They can learn how online. Everything you could want to possible know about dog training is online. Everything! Very good instructions & many videos to show you how.

If it is going to be a dog for the kids, let the kids pick the dog & you help them stay on top of the training.

You did not say anything about where you live, house with yard, apartment without a yard, You didn't say how old your kids are. You didn't say if you wanted a puppy or an adult dog.

Instead of finding reasons why you can't have a dog, start looking at it as if you were for sure going to get a dog. Mindset will help you see things different.

• P

I really liked your answer bluebonnetgranny!

Simply tell them the truth that you dont want a dog End of.... You wouldnt be lying to them either then eh

Source(s): Common sense

You be a parent and say that after careful condideration you have decided that your family is not the right home for a dog at this time.

If circumstances change you may look into it again.