Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 5 months ago

Do you open the door to a friend who randomly turns up on your doorstep (without an invite)after No contact for 4 months? Ettiquett?

Shes ignored you despite you sending a friendly text..

Shes a long term “friend”

Is she rude and do you let her in or ignore the knock

These days people don't usually just show up unless it's something important. So I'd let her in and listen to what she has to say. Then you can decide if you want to continue the friendship or not.

• Edna

I would open the door, say "hi" to her, and invite her in. .

If you know her, you might as well open the door to her.

Possibly she has an emergency situation to deal with. More likely, she is feeling friendly to you again, and would like to "re-open diplomatic relations".

Give her the benefit of the doubt, is my advice.

I THINK SO YES....FRIENDS ARE PRICELESS...

depends on what happened, she couldve been in the hospital for all you know and couldnt contact you

• John P

4 months is not particularly long. 4 years might be.

I would let her in as long as I knew she was safe to be around. She may have been having some issues during those 4 months--and that is why she didn't return your friendly text...

Of course I would open the door.

But you haven't told us the most important thing: What terms are you on with this person? There may be very good reasons for not having any contact for four months, but you haven't explained them.

I don't turn people away who turn up uninvited unless I'm doing something desperately urgent and genuinely can't spare 15 minutes to sit down over a coffee.

This is NOTHING to do with Etiquette and EVERYTHING to do with human relationships.

Ultimately, if a person insists on showing up uninvited at your home, you do not have to allow the person inside. If you are not entertaining anyone, you can leave them standing at the door knocking until they go away. You could wrap a towel around your hair and only open the door on the chain if they persist in ringing the bell and say, “Why are you here? I'm busy.” Regardless of the excuse they give, you say that you're busy and need to go. Say “Goodbye.” Close and lock the door.

• susan

If I used to consider this person a friend, and don't have a reason not to, I would open the door and let her in.

Reasons not to let her in would include not trusting the person, thinking they might steal from me. Or if the relationship ended very badly, for example my daughter had a high school bf that went kind of stalkerish. I wouldn't even open the door to someone like that, much less let them in.

Ignore the b.tch...