I saw a mother slapping her teenage boy's face. When I confronted her, she slapped him again and told me mind my own business. Is she right?

This is Mississippi, where parents (and even teachers) are allowed to physically discipline students, and a mother slapping her son's face is perfectly legal. I was walking through a park in the middle of the day when I saw a mother with her son, he must have been about 15 or 16. And I think I heard him swear... show more This is Mississippi, where parents (and even teachers) are allowed to physically discipline students, and a mother slapping her son's face is perfectly legal. I was walking through a park in the middle of the day when I saw a mother with her son, he must have been about 15 or 16. And I think I heard him swear at her.

In response, she slapped him across his face so hard I could see his left cheek turn red instantly. "What did you say?", she said, and slapped the boy's face again, so hard it snapped to the right. He began to cry, but the mother grabbed him by the nape of the neck and marched him alongside her.

I had watched rather shocked, but to see a boy in his mid-teens slapped in the face didn't sit right with me. I walked up to the mother and said, "I really don't think it's necessary to slap your child's face." I saw the boy's cheek was scarlet from the slaps, and he was still sniffing. And she spun her teenager around and gave his face a third sharp slap that made him cry again. She put her hand under his chin to make him look at me and said, "Tell him what you called me".

It turned out that he'd called her a b*£ch. Which is bad, of course. But does it really merit humiliating your 16-year old son in public like that? I have always thought striking someone's face is extremely disrespectful, since it's very humiliating. For a teenager to be put through that by her mother, can it be right even if it's legal?