Sabrina asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

How much B12 should I take daily if I'm eating a vegan diet?

I was previously vegetarian and have been eating vegan for almost a month now. I purchased B12 vitamins that are 100 mcg and have been taking 1 daily. Is this enough or too little?

• Jeff H

The amount of B12 required is not a lot but it is extremely important to ongoing good health. The main problem with a lack of B12 is that it can take up to 20 years for the effects to make themselves known and by that time at least some of them are generally irreversible. If you are eating a balanced diet and using commercially produced products such as vegan friendly milk and other products you should be okay with the amount of supplements that you are currently taking. If you are unsure you can always ask your doctor and look into being tested to see if you have a vitamin deficiency.

• denise

If the dosage information is'nt on the pack, you could ask your local pharmacist.

its probably fine. there are a fair amount of vegan foods that are fortified with B12 too. check out the nutrition label on your cereals and alternative milks.

Iron pills should be the supplement you should buy not B12. Depends what foods you eat look up on Bing what foods contain how much.

Really none, many vegan foods are supplemented with B12.

Also you have to factor in that if your taking too much the body gets rid of it and can cause problems.

But go check you levels first before going to buy a brand.

• Lim Yuan

Ideally it should be none. Taking supplements also have risks. For example some new research suggests that you should not take Vit D and calcium supplement together, raises certain risks.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2019/07/08/calcium-vitamin-d-combination-supplements-boost-stroke-risk/

• Louis

We don't need much B12. Somewhere in the 2 - 12 mcg range. So you might think that 100 is more than enough.

However, the absorption site easily gets overwhelmed. I don't have the numbers memorized but after the first 1 mcg, the absorption site stops working for a few hours. So after that, the efficiency of absorption drops down to 1%. If you do the math, it turns out you need 1000 mcg.

There is another alternative. you can take a smaller amount, like 50% of the RDA, two or three times a day A lot of the B12 fortified foods have that amount. So you can just get some b12 fortified plant milk and have 2 - 3 glasses a day (maybe one glass with each meal).

There are some other products on the market that claim to bypass the absorption issue. There are sublingual drops, B12 fortified toothpaste, etc. The concept is that the B12 goes right into your bloodstream. I don't know if they really work.

There is also a timed-release B12 supplement. but again I don't know if it works.

You might try a few of these. B12 can be stored in the body and even large dosages are harmless.

I have at least one or two glasses of soy milk a day but I don't think that might be enough so I also take 1000 mcg that is time-released. At 7¢ a day its cheap insurance.

• Lim Yuan

Time release formulas would be so the B12 is in a matrix which dissolves or released b12 when exposed to the digesti e condisions. Just think of ice with peas frozen in it melting...

• Daisy

There are different kinds of B12. What kind did you buy? Does the bottle have a label? If so, follow directions there.

Here's a link about B12 from a vegan site:

https://veganhealth.org/vitamin-b12/

And recommendations from that site of other supplements you need while vegan:

https://veganhealth.org/daily-needs/