Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Could veterinarians misdiagnosed cancer?

My dog has this big lump and they tested the cells in that lump in her foot. Could they have made a mistake? She has no symptoms and it’s been a year when she got tested and isn’t weak eats and plays a lot.

• J C

Vets diagnose cancer by taking a cell sample and sending it our for biopsy. The pathology looks at the cells under a microscope and returns the diagnosis based on that - cancer, negative, or the dreaded "not conclusive" meaning it's suspicious but not clearly positive nor negative. The question is how did the vet diagnose? Did they take a biopsy and send it out? Otherwise the vet is just guessing. If you have concerns then call the office with your questions. If you did not pay for a biopsy, then the diagnosis is just an educated guess.

• Jojo

Dogs can live for 2-3 years and show no worsening symptoms of a diagnosed cancer if the cancer does not metastasis. Its when the cancer grows and spreads is when it becomes a problem for the dog. That`s why its best to get any cancerous growths removed asap and before they metastasis (spread).

Its doubtful that a vet would make a mistake in diagnosis of cancer.

If you are in big doubt, yes, do get a second opinion from another vet.

My GSD was diagnosed with a small cancerous growth when he was 12 and a half years old. As he was so old, it was decided to leave it as he would most likely die of old age before it became a problem.

He lived another almost 3 years, and was coming out on walks right up to a week before it all finally became too much for him and I had to have him euthanised as the cancer had spread to vital organs. 15 is a really good age for GSD.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.

VERY possibly. They often rely on trainee VET TECHNICIANS to run tests on samples. And I mean, have you seen some of the absolute DOLTS they employ AS vet technicians?

I hope not!! I was in a similar situation when one of our hounds was diagnosed with lymphoma after I found a mass in his neck. A fine needle aspirate was done on his back Lymphs, and it came back positive. However, because of his age, we all (including our trusted vet) felt it best to leave him untreated and fact is he lived a further 6 months completely as he'd always been, to the point I started querying the diagnosis. In the end, his system crashed and we had to give him peace. Tragically, but he was an old boy.

• 5 months agoReport

I accepted that she’s going to pass soon. I’m going to let her live happily like she is now and when it’s time for her to leave I will be holding her when they put her down. I don’t want her to be afraid when she dies. I want her to know she was loved at the end of her life

Not very likely but you can always go see another vet to be sure.

You are saying the Doctor said she had cancer, gave you no info and you have done nothing?

Cancer is difficult to misdiagnose.

Take her back and ask the Vet.

• 5 months agoReport

I want to get a second opinion because the other vet I went to wasn’t the best. They gave me estimates and never told me the exact price

No! If they or the lab saw CANCER CELLs - the dog has cancer probably BONE cancer. If it is bone cancer & has not metastasized, the toe or foot could be removed and the dog could be SAVED. Surely the vet gave you a specific TYPE of cancer & a GRADE. Why didn't you treat it?

• 5 months agoReport

Because I have no money. Not everyone is rich to afford extra medical care for the dog if I already pay a lot in medical bills with dogs and myself. So that sir was a stupid question

Some cancers are slow moving & sometimes it kinda goes into remission.

The Vet didn't test the specimen. It was sent out to a Lab to be tested with special equipment & the results sent back to the Vet. & delivered to you.

They are usually right & with today's equipment it is pretty right on.

Before it grows & starts spreading or popping up in other places, talk to your Vet about it removing the foot to save her life, if that is even a possibility. Bone cancer took one of my Great Danes, it was a lump near the first joint above his foot. It kept swelling & getting worse & worse & the day I saw him biting hard on his foot. I had to have him put to sleep cause amputation was not possible on a dog that size.

I got one now with skin cancer & it is rather nasty to deal with but it seems to ebb & flow & when it is bad it is really bad. She is 15 yr old. Dalmatian

• 5 months agoReport

Mines a 11 year old chihuahua. I pay a lot towards her regular check ups and money is tight. Not everyone is rich as hell but I guess I’ll figure it out