Veschengro asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

Why do some dog owners choose to disregard notices stating Private lambing area. NO DOGS?

I Having had 4 such unwanted intruders in a very recent lambing

• Maxi

For several reasons.......city dwellers who are unaware/uneducated about what dogs can do to sheep.... they also don't think their "little fido" would hurt anything anyway stating "all he did was chase them"........or simply those who have zero control of their dog who think fields are only there to be used for a dogs free time or they simply don't care.

This year I have had several clients ( all who have moved from town/city) who have built houses in the country, got a pup and then was 'offended' when the farmer came knocking to keep their pup out of the next door field and are offended again when I tell them "what a nice farmer" as he could have just shot your pup instead of warning you...... I have little toleration of ignorant dog owners who fail their dogs

• Veschengro
      2 days agoReport

Roz... Thx for your input but its not so .not here in Germany... First i must fire a warning shot Into the air and even after then i am not allowed to shoot a dog unless it is caught in the act of killing sheep

• J C

Because people any more are "entitled" and rules do not apply to them!

• Jojo

Unless there is a `Public footpath` across your fields or lambing areas, and it`s private land, then no-one has any right to be there at all.

ALL dogs should be ON LEADS on any public path that crosses over a field with livestock in it, no matter how well trained the dog is.

In the UK many farmers install notices which state. " Your dog will be shot if found among sheep".

You don`t give any clues as to if you are in a partitioned off field doing the lambing, and if its private land or not. So its hard to give you any real positive answer.

The laws on the `right to roam` may be a lot different where `you` live, to where I live in the UK. So again, hard to answer more positively.

• Roz3 months agoReport

Pity said rule doesn't apply to farm dogs. I am not talking about the working dogs here, at least they know what they are doing when rounding up sheep. I am talking about the two that a farmer kept as pets. They were always bothering the sheep that were overwintering in one of the fields.

Entitlement

Just straight up raw entitlement. I do enjoy reading stories where entitled people get what they deserve.

• Veschengro

Had I lost l a amb though here, then its an entirely different story in front of a court......

• PR

No fences? Get some fencing to keep them out. Or, put up bushes or electric wire fencing such as that used for horse paddocks (with warning signs).

• Veschengro

no no fences HAWTHORNE HEDGES are what we use here and they are far better than any fence.

Entitlement and ignorance.

They see your working dogs and assume the signs mean nothing.. Your dogs are there, why cant theirs be? Their little fifi would never hurt a fly!

If youd like a good chuckle and have facebook, check out this herding dog..

https://www.facebook.com/372866632915888/posts/116...

Can you ADD a sign or to the current NO Dogs sign? If so, something like by saying "Dogs found in this field, WILL BE SHOT". Whether you shoot paint balls, or shoot to "only wound or chase/frighten off" versus KILL - is up to you.

• Veschengro

the only time im allowed to shoot a dog here is when it physicaly bites my stock. Until that point all i can do is to fire a shot into the air, which i did this time

Same reason some dog owners don't pick up after there dogs. They simply don't care or respecting others. They just think they are special and have the right to do as they please. Like most things a few bad dog owners give everyone else a bad name.

• Anna

Exactly. People can be so rude. My local newsagents has NO DOGS EXCEPT GUIDE DOGS in capital letters on the door and while most owners respect the rules not to bring their dog in the newsagents as it sells food and drink a few @$$holes have carried their dogs into the shop despite being told not to.

Entitlement. Pure entitlement. I hope your flock wasn't terrorised because of such irresponsible owners.

If they're on public land and there is no official sign by authorities stating no dogs, then they feel they have the right to be there. If they are on your land, speak to them or video them and go to the authorities about it. Some people don't care and don't like to be courteous and respectful.

• Verulam

Classic example of this was my nephew and his g/f at the time who, visiting my sister who lived out in the country, set off to ramble over ALL the neighbouring fields, posted or not. It's what too many townies do. Right to roam eh.