Infant feeding ideas?

My daughter is 4 months and we got the okay to start giving her solids. We've decided to do oatmeal instead of rice. What are some recipes to start with that don't involve introducing sugary foods.

Favorite Answer

Go to the store. Go to the baby section. Pick out a cereal. Follow the box directions and recommendations. Read labels to know what ingredients are in the cereal. Most baby foods DO NOT have added salts or sugars.

I disagree with the answers here that say four months is too young. I guess it just depends on what information you are getting. Both of my babies started on solids at four months (and I had a mother-in-law that was screaming at me because I didn't start them sooner!) At four months old, they are only going to eat a few bites anyway.

I started with rice cereal as the first cereal. I also started with fruit as the other first option for solids.

I hope the doctor did recommend that you start with ONE food at a time in addition to milk during about a two day time frame to watch for allergy issues. If you introduce more than one food at a time and an allergic reaction happens, you won't know which food caused it.

Good luck.

• Pippin

It's just empty starch without flavor or texture or nutrition, beyond the added iron they put in it. (Which was important 50+ years ago when most babies were fed home-made formula which contained no iron. Today, most babies are breastfed or on commercial formula, which contain sufficient iron.

At 4 months?! I'd get a second opinion. Seriously.

• Pippin

Did the doctor explain why your baby needs solids this early? Did she say you HAVE to start now? At 4 months, breastmil k still provides all she needs, and there is no benefit to replacing it with solids.

If you are determined to start now, probably better to offer fruits or veggies. They have more flavor. Cereal, whether rice or oats, tastes mostly like the milk it's mixed with. A few bites of applesauce or green beans or avocado, once a day, after her regular breast or bottle, is ample.

Four months is really young for solid foods.

General recommendation is at least five months, and six is better.

Start with any vegetable. You don't need recipes, just regular vegetables, cooked and pureed.

Four months is too young for solids. If your pediatrician approved it without a medical reason (and there are VERY few medical reasons that would involve early solids), get a new pediatrician immediately. It means yours graduated medical school before the wheel was invented. Early solids are linked to all kinds of issues from sleep cycle disruption to lifelong allergies/GI problems.

Six months minimum for solids. And then it's a bite or two after nursing or a bottle, not recipes. Oatmeal is fine, but there's no reason not to just do actual food.

• Tri-Harder

Which is nowhere near firm, but I also didn't recommend waiting too much past six months anyway. "Minimum" means the earliest, but I never said to wait long past that. Even when discussing things like my son starting past that, I've always been clear to keep trying, which is receiving solids.

• jlb

She is 4 months old, you don't need recipes. Make some soupy oatmeal and feed it to her. At that age she won't be taking a lot.

• Pippin

Shouldn't be soupy. If she needs it that thin to be able to eat it, she's not ready.

instant oatmeal mix, forgot what it's called. You can mix it in with water or breast milk.

• Anna D

Someone is letting you care for a child? You don't look for recipes for 4 month olds. You are a danger to the child.

• Brittaney6 months agoReport

Find someone else to play with dumb ***

Just give oatmeal with no added sugar. It's parents who give babies a 'sweet tooth'. They have no concept of sweet food until it's introduced. So just don't do it. That will give you a bit of a head start before the babe grows and discovers it by other means.

• Pippin

Actually babies are BORN with a preference for sweet food. Breastmilk is extremely sweet. And for those mothers who can't breastfeed, formula also contains a lot of added sugar, to make to as close as possible to human milk.

When I was a toddler I ate mainly cereals for breakfast ... Dinner and Supper I had what was served .

• Anna D

Thanks for sharing. 4 months is far from a toddler.