Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 6 months ago

Should a mother text her children, "This house better be spotless before I get home from work! If it's not, everybody getting a whooping!!"?

Is that considered child abuse, or bad parenting at the least?

• GEEGEE

Would you really "whoop" them? Seems kind of extreme, even if it's an exaggeration. Sending a text with expectations for chores being done (perhaps listing specifics) is fine but the whopping part seems over the top.

if my mum sent my that i would go full kevin mcallister and make sure she never even gets near the house

(home alone)

She's telling them what she expects and the consequences. No problem.

• edward

If the house is clean...look at it this way, she put the fear of god in them, they won’t make a mess and she doesn’t hit them. It’s action and consequence. Each action has an equal and opposite reaction, that’s life

No It's not abusive at all because it's important for children to have chores, after all it keeps them from becoming lazy when they get older. However I wouldn't threaten to spank them though if the house isn't spotless, instead I'd tell them to either do them after dinner or suggest that they listen to some music while they do their chores.

Bad parenting would be to punish a child without warning them of the consequence of their actions or failing to meet the parent's expectations. And in the US it is legal to spank your children, thus not abusive if the punishment was carried out.

Not child abuse unless she physically does something. I don't consider it bad parenting personally.

• Bob

No of course she shouldn't! That's completely ridiculous and she should be ashamed of herself. Honestly, if my mother used such poor grammar, I would throw my hands up in despair and get a new one.

• helene

It's not bad parenting or abuse.

Let me try to make this simple. MOM still has to go to work every day. If her kids are (a) old enough to have cell phones (b) old enough to be at home instead of in daycare, they are OLD ENOUGH to clean the house to make life easier for Mom. Who has to go to work every day.

As a child receiving it, I would consider it to be humorous encouragement. Guess it depends on how often the mother has beat the kids in the past