Friends dont buy me gifts?

Me and my BFFs of 10 years have lived apart after high school grad. We reunited during uni. Now we’re grown up have careers but im married and have a kid. We go out very often on weekends to hangout. Every time i travel for vacay or abroad i always bring my BFF gifts like antiques, clothes, jewellery, purses etc. I always gift them stuff on their bdays but they never gift me anything on my bday. Im not complaining but my friends bday is coming up and my husband said not to buy her a gift because they never gift me when its my bday. I said it wasnt a big deal but he said its not fair that i get them something but they never gift me anything. I didnt think much of it but my husband isnt ok with me buying a gift because they dont do the same for me. He thinks im spoiling them. Is it wrong for me to buy a gift for them if they dont?

• Alan H

If you say it’s not a big deal, why all the hoohah in telling us?

• Steve

If you enjoy giving your friends gifts, give them gifts. Remind your husband it’s better to give than receive.

Gifts?!? Her friendship is a gift..it's not material thing here

They aren't real friends from the way you describe 'em. If I were you I would do more than not buy them gifts, I would cut them off. They probably just take you for granted. If the real reason they don't buy you things is because they don't have the money for it though, I wouldn't be so quick to write them off. Real friendships aren't only about giving each other material goods, they are about the things money can't buy, like affection, going on a nice jog out in nature, volunteering at charity functions together, being a compassionate ear for each other through hard times, visiting them at the hospital if heaven forbid a horrible accident befalls them and such. There are ways you can help and be there for each other without always offering tangible items.

Honestly if i were you, i would NOT buy them a gift this time because they dont gift back. Just so they can get the hint. Its not fair you spend your hard working money on people who wouldnt you do the same for u

• zipper

Your married and still have a boyfriend! Lady your very sick!

Just have a conversation with them about how it bothers you

I recommend at least once not buying them a gift on their birthday, and see if and how they bring up the topic. It could open up your ability to ask them about the no-gifts from you.

It’s very inconsiderate of them to not buy gifts for you when you buy for them. But also you should say something to your friends to know why. I’m pretty sure they’re going to notice when you don’t buy a gift. I personally agree with your husband.

Ok if you say so, Jessica.