Why do I have to be my best self in order to be in a relationship?

To me, having to look my best for someone to love me is really superficial. Having to be confident & happy & personally fulfilled for someone to love me is unrealistic. I m not always going to be happy & perfect. To me, if I have to be that way in order for you to love me, then you re not for me. What... show more To me, having to look my best for someone to love me is really superficial. Having to be confident & happy & personally fulfilled for someone to love me is unrealistic. I m not always going to be happy & perfect. To me, if I have to be that way in order for you to love me, then you re not for me. What are you going to do in the tough times of life? Leave me because I m not happy? No thanks. But all of these articles tell you that you have to be your best self in order to be in a relationship. Maybe it s just something that they put out there as a "don t think about yourself being rejected, just focus on yourself" kind of thing. I don t know, but I don t get it & I don t like it.