Maggots in guinea pig cage?

i feel so bad asking this, and i’m scared that this is somehow my fault. i got a guinea pig five days ago from someone who could no longer keep her. i already have another guinea pig, so i knew how to take care of her. both of my piggies live in separate cages, because they are different sexes. (not intended for... show more i feel so bad asking this, and i’m scared that this is somehow my fault. i got a guinea pig five days ago from someone who could no longer keep her. i already have another guinea pig, so i knew how to take care of her. both of my piggies live in separate cages, because they are different sexes. (not intended for breeding. i took her in because she was free.) anyway, since they said they’d just cleaned her cage, i decided to wait until when i cleaned my piggies cage so i could do them at the same time. this was only a few days later. i go to clean the females cage, and i find large maggots inside of it. i’m so grossed out and i don’t see what i did wrong. my other guinea pig had no maggots inside his cage, so i believe they came with the girl and that could be why they got rid of her. i thoroughly cleaned the cages but if this guinea pig has flystryke, i’m not sure what to do. i’m going to try and give her back to the original owner. i have no flies in the room i keep my guinea pigs in, and since my other one which i’ve had for months had nothing inside, i have to assume that’s why they got rid of her. do you think that’s the case? can the maggots spread to my other guinea pig? sorry for all the questions. i’m just grossed out right now and i feel terrible. thank you.
6 answers 6