Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

I’m 18, and I didn’t tell my parents that I was going to spend the night somewhere else. Now they know, what should I do?

I leave for college next Sunday. I’m going out of state, and I’ll have more own dorm. I say this because I’m only staying home temporarily. I didn’t tell my parents that I’m going to sleep over at my friend’s house because I didn’t want them to ask me a whole bunch of questions just to say no. I’m an adult now, and I do respect my parents. I’ve never spent the night at a friend’s house when I was a teen. Always had good grades, and for the most part, behaved good. I’m dreading going home because I know I’m in trouble, but I don’t think I should be. Yeah, I didn’t tell them where I was at, buy I apologized for it. I’m 18, I should be able to do what I please, reasonably.

Just being 18 doesn't mean much if you're not still financially dependent on your parents. Unless you're footing your room/board and tuition all by yourself you may find that your petulance has caused your parents to withdraw their financial support.

I am with you 100%. But move out and then never talk to them again. Unless they apologize.

Well you should always be truthful and upfront about where you were going to stay, even if they didn't approve of you staying out. Even in later years if you share with someone it is just being respectful to check in so they have no need to be worried. All you can do now is say sorry for worrying them, won't do it again and move on. People will get over this.

• Tony3 months agoReport

i just wish why don't like me i do try just not a enoin to work with

Take responsibility and don’t be a d!ck to your parents. They only worry and care. Show your parents that they can trust you.

• Chae-won3 months agoReport

She is 18! She needs to save enough money and then don't answer the phone or the door. If she is harassing, call the police. Get a restraining order. Stacie, grow up, NOW!!!! She is 18, got it?
      Stacie, I am going to get a restraining order against you. Respect teens!!!

I have NO idea what "I’ll have more own dorm. I say this because I’m only staying home temporarily." means.

You'll have more own dorm. More than what?

You are only staying temporarily with your parents? You've lived somewhere else your first 18 years of life?

You sound like an ungrateful b*tch.

• kim

Well dont go home alone call the police and get an escort while you get your stuff. If your afraid. Otherwise pack your stuff and say what you want big girl. After all it's not their respect your after, your a liberal know it all, who is grown up doesnt need their time money or their values you were raised with. Say tour good byes and hit the road jack

• kim

Really. Your not teaching respect. Teens these days are dog **** people

You've many wise comments here, and only you can decide how to conduct yourself now. You have apologised, and you can repeat that, saying that you realise you made a serious mistake. Ask them how their parents dealt with the mistakes they made at your age. I wouldn't argue with them, though - nothing you can say or do will change the past.

Start with stop lying to yourself and your parents. You aren't sorry nor do you respect your parents if you think it is reasonable to do what you did. Did you consider all the worry you put your parents through last night? They didn't know if you were safe or dead in some gutter. You were acting like a selfish child by doing this, not a responsible adult to have the foresight how your decisions and actions impact others and that is what you need to admit to you parents to make them believe you are sorry for the right reasons.

Being 18 makes you legally an adult but doesn't mean you can do anything you want at any time. There will still be rules to follow at college too. But if you blow them off like you blew off your parents, you won't be going to school long.

Trust is the issue. Trust is the only thing that holds relationships together. You have broken trust and so need to repair it.

You need to tell them what you said here - that you didn't want to answer their questions because by now you expect THEM to trust you with your decisions. The questions mean they don't. They have prepared you - as they should - to do things on your own without their consent or interference, and it sounds like they did a good job.

It's hard for parents to realize that they have spent the last 18 years of THEIR lives raising you just to see you go. They need to step back and become wise councelors to you now... instead of the nurturing roles they have played.

People lie for one of three reasons...

1) They want to cover their butts...

2) They actually care what you think...

3) A combination of one and two.

Your reason for lying to them was understandable; now come clean.

God bless you on your journey.

PS. Read the book of Proverbs, sllllloooowly...

It will give you strength and wisdom to protect you thoughout you life.

do what you want, youre 18

• Chae-won3 months agoReport

She is 18. She is the boss... of her own life....