Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 5 months ago

What can I expect after accidentally dropping my flash drive in the toilet with urine/ water for about 1 min?

My nephew dropped flash drive into toilet and took it out then proceeded to wash it with water. I’m worried it’s damaged

I kind of saved a cracked screen phone that was in water for 10 mins after taking it apart and putting all the parts in a bowl of rice for 2 days ( mixing the rice up after 1 day). The phone worked fine for 4 months then started freezing and would turn on but screen went black, so got a new one after 4 months.

• M.

Since it got wet, then you can't injure it any more by rinsing it off profusely.

The problem with urine or salt water in general, is that it conducts electricity easily.

So rinse it, even with warm water.

Then sling the bulk of liquid out and let it dry.

Submerging it in rubbing alcohol for a moment would probably get the rest of the water out. Then the rubbing alcohol will evaporate faster.

I have used a desk lamp turned upside down to set a cellphone in for a day, with the light bulb (a filament incandescent bulb only) warming the phone gently, to promote all the remaining moisture to evaporate.

If liquid can get inside, then water vapor can surely get out. It just takes time and some heat helps. Some heat. Not a hair dryer or oven or frying pan. Don't rush.

I've been doing electrical and electronic things for more than half a century. I've done this many times.

Water will only cause damage if theres power going through the device while its wet, the water allow short circuits that can fry the circuitry.

Best to clean it off with clean water (prefereably deionised) to remove any salts then let it dry completely before plugging in.

• Paul

UDP style flash drives are usually waterproof. Others, not so much. Look on the package it came in and see if it says it's UDP style.

The drive should be OK if it dries out completely before being put into a device.

But ---

How The Hell Did Any Idiot Drop It Into The Toilet, Anyway?????

There is a serious disconnect beween logical thought and peoples' actions.

WHY ?????

It may seem odd, but rinse the flash drive in clean water, then leave it to dry. Once it's REALLY dry, you'll need to copy the contents to a new flash drive as the one you have is likely to suffer corrosion in the long run.