marc asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 3 months ago

Do US Military officer candidates have to go through the tear gas chamber?

Asking for all branches. Just curious because I know that enlisted recruits have to do it in basic training, but I’ve heard mixed things about officers. Some say they did it, others said they didn’t. One source said that US marine officers do it during The Basic School, some say they never did it at all. Just need some clarification on today’s standards. Anyone who knows the answer or personally went through it is appreciated. Thanks

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

I never did.

GB

Major, Squadron Commander, 42nd Bomb Wing, 2nd Air Force, Strategic Air Command (SAC), US Air Force, 1960-74

• Mark B
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Yes, officers do it. If you get to your unit, you will do it. ESPECIALLY, officers. That is to show leadership.

I went through in ROTC Advanced Camp, Officer Basic (Infantry), before my 1st deployment, and with a Reserve unit.

Cadet, 2LT, and Major

• Mark B
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

For the AF, CS chamber isn't done as much (for officers or enlisted). Navy is similar. Army and and USMC will expect you to go through it.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I did it at USAFA and they still do it there. I also did it several times throughout my career-it was a predeployment training requirement.

• 3 months ago

there is no standard that applies to all service branchs

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

why does it matter one way or the other?

• 3 months ago

Given that the officers are likely to get hit with the same chemical weapons (in combat) as the enlisted, hard to imagine they wouldn't. Without the training, how are they supposed to handle the stuff in the real world??

• 3 months ago

It is supposed to be a universal experience, and even for police recruits in the USA (not just for the military). If someone told you they did not have to do it then a mistake was made with them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.