Should bus drivers step in, in situations of bullying on the school bus?

I remember at one point in 5th grade there was a girl on my school bus who used to bully me frequently and she even did it at school too. For example there was an incident where she told the other kids on the bus that I'm a lesbian and that I kissed another girl in the bathroom and there were even occasions where she asked me " how come you never kill yourself". However the bus driver rarely ever intervened except for when she kept saying " cry baby tootsie" over and over again but I think this was only because it got on her nerves. So should bus drivers intervene in these situations? Also I'm only asking for educational reasons.

Yep they should and the school should take strong action as well. When I was getting bullied in school my teachers and basically anyone did nothing about it and just let me suffer. Then later had the audacity to write on their school website that they don't tolerate bullying which is a big mother fuc*kin lie.

• Will

As a former school bus driver, yes, it is our responsibility to maintain order on the bus. Keep in mind that we are trying to safely drive the bus, so we are bound to miss most cases of bullying. And obviously some drivers just don't give a damn. I always tried to stop harassment on the bus when I could. It usually came down to me assigning seats, whether they were grade schoolers or high schoolers. That way I could have the bully right there next to me.

Any driver who doesn't try to maintain order and not stop bullying on their bus should lose their job.

if there is somebody on a school bus harassing another student the bus driver should put them at the opposite ends of the bus! Now a days school buses have video cameras all over them students frequently try to get the bus driver into some kind of trouble. My daughter runs School bus and several students have tried to be vengeful on her when she's separated people on a school bus that were bullying. But my daughter had the video camera which is at four different points in the bus and they pulled the student into the office and showed the video in the presence of the parents that child is no longer permitted to ride the school bus .

• Charlie6 months agoReport

Wow that's really cool. I really wish that the school bus that I went on had cameras because I actually think that's a very decent idea.