is it worth it to become a social worker and does it pay well?

So I’m a nurse who works in a hospital, and social

Workers have a really tough job. I don’t know exactly now how much they get paid but for example today, I had a social worker come in and tell a drug addict couple who had just given birth to a drug baby that DCYF was coming to take their child and that they could no longer be alone with the child and had to leave the hospital. We leave the hard job of kicking people out of the hospital..to social work. Sometimes it’s brutal.

That’s the type of job social workers do. I mean if you really enjoy helping people it might be for you but I’m just warning you.. it can be very intense.

• Rick

Here in Canada it doesn't pay well unless you have a masters degree in social work (MSW) and work for a good employer - a hospital or in the government, for example. It can also be a stressful job.

if you like helping people, its definitely for you. it pays a fair amount and its fun to help people so why not

• Janet

It is incredibly stressful and you have more caseloads than you can handle.

It pays more than working in McDonald's .. but you should get your degree and then go work with an insurance company and be trained to be an adjuster. Some of them make very very good money ... especially the ones who end up handling hazardous goods claims.

If you have the heart and brain power getting a PhD in Psychology is cake however, if you than (Think) find that listening to others peoples problems ALL DAY is not your cup of Tea than starting your own Manufacturing Co. might be a better idea.

Pay is only a living wage if you get a gov job in social work....or you might starve in the private sector.

It's a labor of love in most cases (although state social workers usually get great benefits and a good pension).

• .

It you work for a large hospital it can pay well. It all depends on your interests and abilities.

You would probably not find the work fulfilling if you did not believe wholeheartedly in its value for your clients, etc. .