What are the left and some African American leaders talking about when they refer to "Institutional Racism" and "White Privilege"?

Well, regardless of whether you believe in white privilege or not, it is very well-documented and can easily be searched and defined on Google.

• David

It's a lie.

• Joseph

I've been white my entire life and I've yet to experiance 'white privledge '. I suspect it only exists for the extremely wealthy, which would make it ordinary privledge. Like what OJ had during his murder trial.

I don’t believe in white privilege.

not sure why regarding thid

• Cousin

They are referring to the things that the old fogies do not even notice anymore. Old fogies have learned not to say the "N" word in and so, as long as they do not forget and slip, they truly believe that they are not being racist. Not forgetting and saying in public the type of thing that they say about minorities over highballs when it is just themselves with no minority persons present, seems to them sufficient to avoid the accusation of "Racist". But it is the very fact that these things are normalised to them and that they do not even perceive or notice the things like calling a man "Sambo" if he acknowledges having some African ancestry or a woman "Pocahontas" if she acknowledges having some Native American ancestry, is the sort of thing that raises a red flag among non-Racists. It is these things that they do not notice that are noticed. A different level of sensitivity and sensibility. The sort of locker room humour one expects in a lower middle class seventh grade gym class in the Seventies where White twelve year olds who are already indoctrinated into a mild form of racism is what is meant by "institutionalised". Someone wearing braces on his teeth will be called "Metal Mouth" and someone wearing eye glasses is called "Four Eyes" and so on in this vein, someone who says he has some Black ancestry gets called "Sambo" and these become nicknames that stick. Those using these nicknames think of it as good fun and humour and are unaware that such terms represent prejudices, stereotypes, and the basis for persecution. Their racism is of such a mild variety that it only informs what they do, their attitudes and base line, rather than being overt racists who actually are out to lynch people. As long as things seem "Normal" to them, they do not perceive the innate racism built into the System. They consider stereotypes accurate perceptions and were trained to perceive them as characteristic during boyhood. Far be it from them to question the wisdom of seventh grade locker room bullying.

• sparrow

Stop blaming African Americans problems on someone calling them "Sambo" when they were younger.

means blacks aren't humans. they cant handle civilized worlds. truth hurts.

• Saad M

They try to explain racism: how they have been deceived over time.

• A little bit of personal responsibility of their part would do away with a lot of perceived racism. Just as Jesse Jackson said, I too am relieved when I hear footsteps behind me late and night and find out it is a White person behind me.

White privilege is a fiction created by the minorities to justify their own failures and lack of personal responsibility. No one is forced to remain poor. Get pregnant at 15, you'll be poor. Have kids by more than one "baby daddy", you'll be poor. Raise your kids without a father in the house, they'll be poor. Sounds harsh, I know, but that's life.

• QuA

"Poor?" Only a bourgeois considers others poor when they have everything that the bourgeois has plus the freedom that comes from knowing that their neighbors owe them even more as compensation for the labors and suffering of their ancestors.

A privilege is a benefit or immunity granted to one group of people but denied others. If only men are allowed to vote that’s a privilege. If women are exempt from selective service, that’s a privilege.

Today, there are no benefits or immunities granted to whites but denied to blacks. There is no white privilege, but minorities who want victim status to get special treatment, so they represent things that are not matters of privilege as if they are.

Whites earn more than blacks on average, but it’s not because of any privilege granted to whites. Certainly some people discriminate against blacks, but again, that’s not the same thing as being given privileges.

• Affirmative Action is a form of active discrimination against Whites in favor of blacks. All those freebies, job preference, and an inability to be fired once hired. Hell, I wouldn't mind BEING black, myself, if I didn't find them so damned ugly.

Black Americans still have slavery embedded in their genes & hopefully in time that may change