How do I stop my son from being so angry all the time?

I have a son (late elementary age) who has severe anger problems. Last week, I took him to the doctor’s office for a physical checkup and the doctor and nurse told my son and I that he needs to trim his nails. Right after they said that, my son started hitting both of them and screaming insults/curse words at them,... show more I have a son (late elementary age) who has severe anger problems. Last week, I took him to the doctor’s office for a physical checkup and the doctor and nurse told my son and I that he needs to trim his nails. Right after they said that, my son started hitting both of them and screaming insults/curse words at them, causing the appointment to be cut short. He has been sent home from school many times for raging (he even got expelled from two other schools for this). Whenever he gets sent home or suspended, I will ground him and take away all his privileges, which results in him screaming, cursing, and banging on the doors/walls even more. Since the school year begins tomorrow, I'm worried about dealing with these struggles again. According to the school staff, his rages start up as soon as he is criticized (even if he just made a tiny mistake). I've noticed that at home as well. There are several times I’ve had to correct him on tiny errors, and even that has caused him to start attacking me. He becomes extremely rude, hateful, and violent as soon as he hears something he doesn't like. He’s also a bit sluggish and doesn’t work very hard (on chores, schoolwork, or homework). School staff and I do have to push him a little to step up on his work (from what we see, he isn’t struggling with the work, he just doesn’t want to do it), but of course, he ends up attacking us.

What would you do about this behavior? (I sure wish Supernanny was still around... lol)