Steve asked in SportsBoxing · 7 months ago

Are you with or against Muhammad Ali evading the draft to participate in the Vietnam war and why?

I am with him. Ali may have cost himself millions and his career, but he stops with his belief. African Americans were being mistreated in this country, and yet they were expected to fight in a war they had nothing to do with.

I'm against the method he used to evade the draft, not the evasion itself.

Dereliction of duty, desertion of country is courageous because you risk being executed if captured. But going the conscientious objecter route is cowardly because it relies on government pity.

Personally, I think we have a duty to fight for our homeland but I still respect those who don't give the government an ounce of power or respect. You have a right to run from or kill anyone who demands you risk your life for their political agenda.

• He said it himself "No Viet Cong ever called me N______..." and he turned out to be right, since the war was for nonsense.

• I respect his right to stand up for his beliefs and standing up for his beliefs cost him The WBA and WBC World Heavyweight Titles, not being able to Box for 3 1/2 Years and Millions of Dollars in Earnings. You do know this was 5 Decades ago?

Yes I agree it was wrong for the US to drop napalm bombs on little girls. US citizens don't have to agree with our government's misguided foreign policy.

I am Against him. He break law and should have been in prison.

• Megumi

Many men were drafted and many were killed. Muhammad Ali should have been in prison.

Yeah, the draft was dumb especially for a dumb war like Vietnam where USA didn't even need to be involved. Why should some young man's life be ruined by the horrors of a needless war just because of some politicians.

It's in the past. I'm more concerned about the future.

old news .............................................