Can 1996 Honda Accord run okay without catalytic converter?

Someone cut mine out and stole it. Assuming it is legal to do so, can I straight-pipe to the muffler? Will the car run correctly? I m hesitant to put another cat-converter and have it stolen again.

Obviously it is illegal to remove a cat-converter. Legally driving without one depends on where you live.

It will NOT be legal, gotta replace it. Against the law to 'MODIFY ANY' federally mandated anti-pollution devices OR safety systems ............

Yes,and no.Because the cat acts like a muffler before the muffler so just straight pipe would me minus one muffler. However it might be more noisier so as they cut it out; put in a resonator(which is a flow through muffler)to reduce the noise so the cops do not stop you for an on the road inspection.

. If you have emission test stations that you have to go to, then they know what is suppose to be there and what the emission is suppose to be. So they get you then. It does not have to be from HONDA. Autoparts stores have more than one brand of Cat and at different prices as the coating of platinum will be thinner so it wears out sooner...as the platinum gets eaten away by the exhaust gases. A resonator is a temporary sound reducing muffler so you are not as obvious(maybe $50) A cat is much more pricier.

assuming it is legal where you live, leave it off. Will probably run better

You have no choice. It's illegal to drive with no converter.

• zipper

The car will run OK, but you will be totally illegal to drive in that condition, get a new one post hast!

Assuming it's legal? Faulty assumption. You need to replace it.

• Jay P

It's not legal. You cannot remove or tamper with factory emission equipment.

Having said that, I agree with Taking It Easy...get a universal catalyst. When my cat went on my previous vehicle, that is what I replaced it with. It was not as efficient as the factory unit but it was still below the maximum levels so it passed.

It will run okay. The check engine light will be on. Will never pass emissions testing. But you may live where that is not an issue. Your exhaust will be toxic from now on.

Replace it with a universal fit cat, which is a lot cheaper, and have it welded into place. No more thefts.

• Ian K

Ever heard of a sawzall? Cat gone in 10 seconds.

The car is unlikely to run properly as the car's ECU will detect the absence of the cat. In any event I imagine you will be breaking emissions laws so you may end up with a fine. Fit a new cat and a car alarm.

• ponderer

The ECU will detect and code for a malfunctioning downstream O2 circuit since the wires were probably cut.