ibemiazee asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

is my dog going to be okay?

the other day i found my 13 y/o dog unable to balance so i rushed her to the vet and she had a 104° temp. they brought it down and she was able to walk again, and did blood work and stuff on her. they put her on a prescription diet to help her pancreas and liver and gave us fluids if her temp rose again. when we brought her back from the vet, she barked sometimes and was eating fine. she ate at the vet too. then today, her temp rose again so we brought it back down and now she’s less active. she ate only a little today but we still got her medicine down. she’s even letting me touch her paws when she used to hate it. do you think she’ll get over feeling unlike herself soon? she was still drinking today. i’m so worried

The case is critical.

Blood test for confirmatory diagnosis will help you

• J C

This needs to be discussed with the vet. Pancreatitis is very serious, and can also be very painful. As you already know, she is not feeling very well. If the vet gave you a prescription diet, feed that an that only. Table scraps and people food will only aggravate the pancreas and make things worse. If she crashes today, you will need to rush her to your closest emergency vet, so be sure you know where that is. And get on the phone with the vet first thing Monday morning. This is a serious issue in an older dog, who's clearly not feeling up to par :( I hope she will pull through. I know that with cats with pancreatitis the often give drugs like Denamarin to support the liver, and the use of a feeding tube to get food in them when they will not eat on their own. I brought my 18 year old cat through a nasty bout of it a few years ago, and that is a very old cat. He lived to be 19+.

Pancreatitis is very SERIOUS (can be life-threatening) and can re-occur or become chronic. Other organs may also be damaged during an episode.

You DID NOT say whether your dog was diagnosed with a: mild or severe case of acute pancreatitis. So we are limited in what help we can offer. If this was caused by the giving of a fatty food or a fatty diet, that needs to change immediately and 100%, or the dog WILL probably DIE.

Follow your vet's advice & DIET for the dog, but call and consult the vet, if your dog does not seem normal, or you do not see steady improvement. SURELY.... the vet gave you an outline of what to expect or under what conditions you should call or return to the clinic. IF NOT; call and find out these things.

here are some helpful links:

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_m...

https://www.caninejournal.com/pancreatitis-in-dogs...

• PR

If you are uncertain of the diagnosis, take the blood work to a different vet for a second opinion. If it involves the pancreas, it could be complicated, so it would be best to move forward swiftly in that case.

Sorry your dog is not feeling well. Did the blood work and other test indicate the cause ?

The vet should have told you.

Try cbd oil?