Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 5 months ago

Question for people who understand depression.?

I have a friend who's depressed. He believes there is only 1 thing that can make him happy, as he feels no excitement or emotion towards anything else in his life. But this 1 thing, is not something he can seek out. It's something he'd have to sit and wait for. And meanwhile, I feel like he pushes away all opportunities and connections he can make and have that could help him. I am no expert, and I hope nothing I say is a wrong or bad conclusion as this is the only friend I know that deals with this.

I just personally think, the day you stop trying, you let depression win. And he goes on about his past failed friendships and relations, and doesn't seem to /seek/ getting better because of these failures (he also has family issues that add to this). Idk. I just wanted to put this out there for people who can comment or even those who deal with this as well.

Yeah, he feels he /doesn't/ have a reason to wake up. And he clings on to this 1 thing he wants that is not easy to obtain.

It's easy to say adopt a positive attitude more than doing it.

The thing is, with depression you won't want to get better. Everything seems pointless. For me, the more people that tried to help me, the more i pushed away. I would say that you should be there for him but don't try to fix him. Be there to hang out with him. Let him realize on his own what happiness is. I have been depressed for a long time, but there are these little fleeting moments of happiness when im hanging out with a close friend. The best feeling is to be able to forget about everything in your life and just give yourself over to happiness and allow yourself to be happy. You can't push someone towards happiness, you just have to be there for him and create opportunities for him to realize what happiness truly is.

There is a difference between being depressed and clinical depression.

The best things he can do for himself is start to adopt a positive mental attitude, find himself a reason to get up in the morning and keep himself occupied.

Update: I know, I was on antidepressants from the age of 17 for over 20 years.