Joesph asked in PetsRodents · 5 months ago

Hamster died suddenly?

My Russian dwarf hamster died today, he was in his house where I found him. He was active earlier when I was replacing his water, he also had food in his bowl how did he die. Was he sick or had a disease.

Russian dwarf hamsters usually live about 2-3 years. If he was in this age range his death could have just been from old age. If they died before that age range it could have been from illness. Hamsters are prey animals and can hide any illnesses very well. Hamsters are more likely to get sick when they are stressed, if you had him in a particularily noisy part of your house or recently cleaned his cage he might have passed from stress. Another reason he may have died is from an unsafe material in his cage. Materials like pine/cedar wood bedding, perfumed/scented bedding, cotton/fluffing nesting materials and fabric can be potentially dangerous.

Sorry,,, you don't say how old it was or if it was living in stressful conditions.

These hamsters only live one to three years max, so impossible to answer your question.

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately hamsters don't live for very long. Most don't live for more than 2 years. It was probably old or just it's time. It could have been ill. I had a friend whose hamster suddenly got a tumour and had to be put down.

You're better off asking a vet. I'm sure that you did the best that you could for it so long as you fed it and gave it water regularly. All I know is that they can also die very suddenly. I also know someone who woke up and just found their hamster dead. Out of pretty much all pets that you can have, they have the shortest life spans.