Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Good guard dog for hiking but can also enjoy sitting on the couch with me.?

Recently I’ve been seeing so many news reports of women going missing and end up dead after going on hikes. So I really want a dog that will protect me because lately I’ve been too scared to go on hikes and I hate it. I’m looking for a dog that will be down just to be around me when I’m hiking or watching tv. And can get along with my cat. Any comments would be a great help thank you!

Dogs dont just "protect"

The dogs that randomly react aggressively to others approaching their owners, are aggressive.

Protection is taught, with dedication, commands, and control.

• TK

Dalmatian

The breed was created to run with horse carriages and protect them from attacking dogs.

A basset hound is EXACTLY what you need

First YOU personally should learn self-defense, then consider the dog.

A hiking dog is a high energy dog and a high energy dog will need a lot of physical exercise and mental stimulation every day rain or shine if it is going to relax.

No dog is going to protect you when it does not have the right temperament AND does not have professional protection training which can take years

Either don't go hiking alone or sign up for self defense classes and look into what protection you can legally carry or with a concealed weapons permit.

Also carry a really good loud whistle

A protective dog is, as always, mainly a matter of the right training - any dog can be protective, although I have to admit a Doberman inspires somewhat greater respect than a Jack Russel, at least to people who know little about dogs (I've seen JRTs playfighting with other dogs, they never give up - and my neighbour has a Doberwoman who is essentially a self propelled teddy bear).

Getting along with your cat would even be easier - most dogs, given the chance, get along with most cats. It's just that they're rarely given the chance, both by humans and cats.

So it boils down to: how much time and effort can you spend on training and bonding with your dog? If you're working, can you take her/him to work? You can't just leave him alone (with your cat doesn't count - YOU are the leader of the pack, not the cat, and dogs are extremely hierarchical) at home or in your car for a day, definitely not for the first year or so (after that, with training, it may be possible - but not nice to the dog. See above, a dog wants/needs to be with his pack).