Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

How to make Italian sub (hoagy, grinder, hero, etc.). See below - read whole question! What goes on it, what doesn't?

Apparently there is some difference of opinion on this. Italian Americans seem to agree for the most part but not always. What are the dos and don't of an Italian sub?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A true, classic "Italian sub" has a complex flavor / texture structure and there are indeed rigid rules. Violate any one of them and the sub is ruined. I didn't make this up. This comes from generations of Italian Americans.

The bread must be a long "torpedo" roll. It's a "subroll." In the right Italian bakeries they are sold as such. There should be a thin coating of mazza flour on the bottom. It should be firm but not hard like a French bread.

The roll is sliced but not completely through. The roll is opened. Olive oil and red wine vinegar are generously applied. Two types of ham are layered on: Prosciutto and capacol. Then the Provolone cheese goes on. Shredded lettuce, thinly sliced tomatoes (ripe tomatoes only!) and thinly sliced onions. Then a generous sprinkling of Italian herbs - oregano makes up the bulk. A little bit of very thinly sliced pepperoni or salami can be added to this but not both. Sliced, hot Italian peppers can be served on the side for the eater to add at his / her digression.

Those are the "dos". I'm not sure what you mean by "don'ts". Don't do anything else than what I just described. Don't put bologna on it, don't put pickles on it and for God's sake don't put mayonnaise or any kind of salad dressing on it. Just because it has the word "Italian" as part of the name don't think that it needs Italian dressing or tomato sauce (gravy) on it. You might be able to get away with substitutes. If you can't get Prosciutto you could use boiled ham but none of the sugary hams like honey or maple. There really is no substitute for the provolone. Asiago or mozzarella might sort-of work but American or Swiss cheese would really mess up the flavor structure.

• John
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

A hero is actually a Gyro, which is entirely different. Me, I like Dagwood sandwiches, which can be Italian or not. Mixed meat and mixed cheeses on bread. There are no rules for this.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The roll is key. Both tender yet with "give" and firmness. Not crusty, not tough.

Cold cuts, provolone, vegetables, herbed oil.

That is the Italian sub.

• 5 months ago

Just put prosciutto, salami, pepperoni and provolone. Roasted peppers optional, Italian or olive oil. Also find a good hero roll

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Cammie
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Do use what you like. Don't use what you don't like .Enjoy.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.