Do you think punishment has to be very unpleasant to be effective ?

the reason I ask is my parents have changed tactics with their punishments, before when I misbehaved I was grounded for a day no tv etc, this didn't really bother me or deter me from bad behaviour, I would come home late, sneak out when grounded etc, last weekend my parents said they were going to punish me... show more the reason I ask is my parents have changed tactics with their punishments, before when I misbehaved I was grounded for a day no tv etc, this didn't really bother me or deter me from bad behaviour, I would come home late, sneak out when grounded etc, last weekend my parents said they were going to punish me more harshly, they LITERALLY locked me in my bedroom with nothing but homework and school books, I was escorted to and from the bathroom and my bedroom door remand LOCKED at ALL times , my parents said sometimes harsh punishment is the only way to stop poor behaviour.
I must admit I HATED it I normally sneak out when grounded but couldn't because I was locked up, I always go out at weekends but couldn't, I don't like this punishment and I don't want to be punished again, does this mean harsh punishment works ?