Jade
Lv 4
Jade asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 4 months ago

Does Meghan Markle and Prince Harry risk making Princess Diana's 'mistake' by becoming 'too popular for their own good?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Best answer

I don't think so.

First, she is American by birth and currently carries the title of "Duchess" not "Princess"....and yes, those things still matter in both English society and the British media. Also, just as Andrew was the more-affable and seemingly down-to-earth brother to Charles, Harry carries more charm than mystique, so I'm guessing Meghan will be considered a celebrity royal on the level of a Sarah Ferguson but never achieve the level of reverence of a Diana.

Next, the nature of the media and media-driven culture has changed greatly since the 1980s when Diana was portrayed as a real-life fairy-tale princess. I think today's culture is far more cynical and far-less likely to elevate Harry and Meghan to the same levels of adoration.

• Clo
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

They don't want to make the same mistakes---Diana courted press attention. Harry prefers to be more private and has to learn the happy medium of issuing just the right amount of information to help the Sussex's causes.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Doesn't seem very likely.

• You must be joking.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

It's only because they just had a baby, it will die down. Prince Andrew was similarly popular when he had major events in his life. Prince Harry is probably going to be the next obscure duke of York once Andrew dies, only coming into the news when he does something to moan about as Andrew does now.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Who is Meghan Markle I thought she changed her name when she got married.

• Janet S
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Then you DO know who she is! BTW, why don’t we just call Anne Boleyn Anne Tudor?

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

They will never be as popular. They are far too low on the pecking order and will end up

slowly fading Into the background as all minor Royals do.

• Sal*UK
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

They are popular - but for a lot of the wrong reasons.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I doubt they will.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.