Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 5 months ago

What is it like to be a senior citizen today?

• Jojo

It`s ok if you are solvent and healthy.😀.

Not so good if you are cash strapped and suffering from some ailment. 😟

• Janet

That is only true in the United States, where the government is selfish and the voters allow it.

• Bill

very depressing

you see a lack of consideration , greed , stupidity, no morlas or ethics no money peole with no disclipine , no common sense and no real faith in GOD

not like the good old days when a friend would give up his life for a mate, your word was binding, responsibility for one's action was the norm and naught kids got the hand across the bum

72 and since I did not spend every cent I made when I got it but invested and saved I am doing great. I now own and am very active in the running of 17 franchise restaurants and 3 nicer sit down and enjoy dinner restaurants.

My health is great, still walk 6 miles every single day and use a treadmill on humid hot days.

Many moons ago I promised myself I would not live in the poverty I lived in with my grandmother and so I dug myself out of that poverty and it has paid off in how I can live and help others now.

I Love life

Pretty much the same as before we became senior citizens. Except we stay home more or travel more than usual to get rid of boredom from staying home more.

• A C

It's easier to survive than in past generations. There are nursing homes that will take you in if you can't manage on your own and other government help, like caregivers coming to your home a few hours a week. There is also subsidized senior housing. I remember my grandmother coming to live with us when she had to stop working because there was nowhere else for her to go. Her Social Security check was only $60 a month.

• Ann

The only good thing about being a senior in today's society is that there are better medical advances in some areas. My grandparents and parents suffered from heart conditions and died relatively early. If they had had the medications and knowledge of today, they might have lived longer. Other than that, living in today's world is unsettling. There is more racial hatred, bitterness and uncertainty than at any time I can recall, except for the 1960's. Every day there are newspaper and t.v. stories about young children being murdered and other horrors. It seems that human dignity and respect for humankind has gone out the window, to be replaced by greed, immorality of the basest kind, and disrespect. Today's young people seem to have little to no knowledge of how to fend for themselves or how to deal with life. They aren't taught about history, and therefore they have nothing to learn from.

• Janet

If they had lived longer, more pains and problems would have cropped up and made living difficult. Long life is not nearly as important as quality of life.

I live in a small southern California agricultural community. It's kinda like going back in time 60 years. People don't lock doors or take keys out of the ignition. There are a lot of retired people here. Most are fairly well off. We live quietly and don't "make waves". I took early retirement in 1996. My investments have done well. My health is good, and I'm active sexually. I have more disposable income than I ever had in my life. I own everything I want and it's all paid for. Some of my peers have sugar babes or young trophy wives. I have GFs. For the most part, I just do whatever I want, whenever I want to do it.

I am now a senior citizen (age 75) What I can say is that here in U.K. being a senior citizen is very different from how it was for my parents and my grandparents.

My generation had family allowance to help with the upkeep of children, it wasn't much but helped. We had free milk and vitamins when pregnant and our children had vitamin tablets. If out of work there was unemployment benefit, free school dinners for our children etc.

My parents generation had no family allowance for the first child but did for subsequent ones. There was very little help for those out of work and rules were very harsh. Times were hard and they had been children during one war then young parents through another. Very many foods were rationed. They had to 'make do and mend' which meant never wasting anything; using one things for another purpose after it was no use for it's primary purpose. Children tended to be underweight even though, parents went without so that children could eat.

In my grandparents day there was no government help whatsoever, families helped families, neighbours helped neighbours when and wherever they could but there were very many hungry, underweight people who still were expected to work hard if they had jobs. Those who had no jobs relied on those who did. Families were closer and cared much more than today's youth.

Back to today's elderly people. We had a better time in very many ways that our parents and grandparents did but, along the way, much has been lost. Many, not all, of today's youngsters show no appreciation for anything and think they deserve (and SHOULD have) everything. They are spoilt brats who, in many cases are foul mouthed and completely out of control. Soon they won't know how to cope with anything because the very old are now gone, the middle group are now becoming in need of help themselves and the young to middle aged are fighting a losing battle with uncouth youth. When uncouth youth is middle aged they'll wonder what has hit them because their kids will need them and so will their parents but they'll have nothing to offer because they've learned nothing.

Getting annoyed with people who use the twee expression "senior citizen" which is a meaningless euphemism. Call me a grumpy old fart and I'll happily answer. Call me a "senior citizen" and I'll ignore you.

They spend their days lounging in the swimming pools full of cash they accumulated from raping the economy and the environment, listening to Zepplin, and smoking pot.

If they had brain cells left after decades of hard drug use, they'd be reading Camus, Focault, Nietzsche, and Derrida (their heroes). Instead, these authors are sitting, unread, on their 25,000 dollar handcrafted bookshelves imported from Europe.

• RICK

I'm a boomer
      Tried marijuana twice in 1973
      Ain't touched it since
      Benn an environmentalist since the 1960s, drove fuel efficient 4 cylinder cars when 95% of my generation was driving large V8 muscle cars
      Never lump people together