What should I do with my divorce attorney who doesn't want to listen to me and ignoring my request?

I have been staying home mom for a long time I hired my attorney through legal aid for divorce

The court ordered mediation and he keeps telling me the cost of mediation will me split between me and my ex and he knows that I cannot afford paying this and also the court knows that I cannot afford paying the mediation cost .What should I do? And how much will be!

Also there is a lot of financial papers are not revealed to me and hidden by the other party and when I ask my attorney I cannot proceed to the mediation without having all his finnacial statements available to me

He keeps ignoring my messages to him and want to proceed to the mediation without this important financial statements! And he doesn't even want to give me copy of the proposal that he is willing to discuss during mediation !!! And keep telling me he will discuss the financial issues later after the mediation agreement?!!!

And as far As I know the case will be dismissed after the mediation agreement and I will need to open a new case ?!!!!!

What should I do with him? He is not clear at all with me

He is handling the case the way that he wants not what I want

8 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    You need to beg and borrow up as much money as you can then prepare a 'divorce budget' for yourself. To think you'll get through this without paying a dime is probably disordered thinking on your part. However, with a reticent lawyer you can always threaten to file a complaint with your state's Bar Association.

  • 5 months ago

    Oh good grief.. yes, you are responsible for paying for your half of mediation. But as a home-maker, it will come out of the divorce settlement.

    You need to sit down with your lawyer and outline what you want from him. Then you need to LISTEN to him and find a compromise that you can live with, since HE knows the law and what will and won't fly in mediation and the court room. If you're truly unhappy and feel that he is disregarding your instruction, hire a new lawyer.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    Based solely on how you write, I would not represent myself. I think you've totally misunderstood what the Legal Aid Attorney has told you, and he's tired of arguing with you.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    Where, which State?

    If you are better educated in the law, if you know exactly how the legal system works, I'd suggest that you ask the Court to remove your attorney from the lawsuit and represent yourself.

    If your husband has resources, then ask the Court to force him to pay your legal fees. You can do that when you are representing yourself.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    I’m confused. You HIRED an attorney through Legal Aid? Where does Legal Aid charge for legal services? Their purpose is to represent people free of charge. “Hired” doesn’t enter the equation.

    I have no idea what the cost of mediation will be because it’s not a Federal problem, not Federal Law, and I don’t know where you are. In MY State mediation costs are ALWAYS split between the parties. I suspect one of the reasons is to force a settlement. You and your husband can agree between the two of you OR you can go to mediation, spend a fair amount of money and then come to an agreement. In MY State you can request the Court to order the party with the superior income (your husband) to pay YOUR expenses, but, again, I don’t know where you are. What should you do? Borrow from relatives OR come to an agreement which doesn’t require mediation.

    If you don’t have all of the necessary paperwork the mediator will adjourn the session(s) until all of the paperwork is available. Why would your attorney spend the time and effort NOW to get the financial documents when the mediator will force their release to your attorney (and, ultimately, you)?

    He probably doesn’t feel like arguing with you over the mediation agreement and financial issues. He prefers to find out what your husband’s legal counsel is saying, then your attorney will know where your husband stands, then he can discuss what he has learned with you. Nothing unusual.

    How to you “know” that the case will be dismissed after a mediation agreement and you will need to open a new “case”? What “case” are you talking about? Are you talking about having to file a new Summons/Complaint for divorce? Why, if the lawsuit has been commenced, would you have to start a NEW lawsuit?

    Let’s see. The attorney is handling the “case” the way he wants to handle the “case,” not in accordance with what you want.

    My suggestion? If you are smarter than your attorney, if you know the process better than he does, if you can better represent yourself, then represent yourself.

    You are not his only client. You apparently have little understanding of the process. I would not be the least bit surprised if a Legal Aid attorney would tell the Court he cannot work with you and ask to be released from representing you. Then you can handle the “case” any way you want.

    By the way, it’s not a “case.”

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    The problem is that you're using legal aid. Those people are overworked and underpaid. Mediation in a divorce is usually the practice of sharing one attorney and mostly working things out on your own. While yes, you are responsible for half the cost, if you are a stay at home then your share will probably come out of whatever assets you share with your spouse. The mediation IS the divorce but it usually costs less and assumes that both parties can work things out between each other. It is illegal for your spouse to not disclose all of his assets. Your biggest mistake was not getting copies of everything BEFORE you left. As such, hopefully you are aware of what he had, what accounts, how the property was held etc. If you know that your spouse has a lot of money, you may want to hire a regular divorce attorney and see if they'll take your case because they will force discovery and will freeze his 401k etc. Mediation almost always works out better for the higher earner. Representation for both parties costs more but often benefits the lower earner. If your husband doesn't have that much and you don't earn a house or haven't been married that long, just do the mediation, get out what you can and move on with your life. If there are minor children you really need a good lawyer unless your spouse is very agreeable or he could end up with residential custody and you will have to pay him child support.

  • i + i
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    Go back to legal aid and explain the situation.

    It is very important these issues be addressed,

    you're in need of COMPETENT representation.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    Can you assign a new attorney?

    • 5 months agoReport

      Your really naive to think that if the law assigns an authoritive figure to handle your case your stuck with them. There would be a lot of attorneys police officers medics getting away with a lot of **** if the law was like that. Don’t be so naive.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.