New engine 2004 f150?

One of my family members has a 2004 f150 with 105,000 miles on it but the engine blew so he asked if I would want it for $1000 and then I would pay someone to put a new motor in it. Is it worth it? How much would a new engine cost to put in?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Is it a 6 cylinder, or an 8 cylinder? If it's an 8, is a 4.6 or 5.4 liter.that's just for starters. You need to know what condition the rest of the truck is in but also, what configuration is it (Regular, Super Cab, etc) and what trim level is it (XL, XLS, XLT, Lariat, etc)? All this matters to give you an idea of what it would be worth if you fixed it. Also you need to know what is wrong with the engine to determine if it needs the engine replaced or repaired. Here in So California, a 2004 average about $6,000-7,000 in good condition with mileage between 120K-180K miles. Have the entire truck inspected if you want to buy it, so you know what is wrong with it. I'd see if a reputable mobile mechanic would be willing to do an inspection. \They cost about the same as (or less than in many cases) a shop mechanic, plus they come to you. . No overhead so you're just paying for fuel and their time.

• 6 months ago

Dude...call a local mechanic shop.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

If you got the tools and the mechanical know how to do it and the will and the PLACE and the TIME. $1000 is much. For a 2004, it would not get a new motor either as the truck is worth when insured,,, the value of a 2004 truck and that is ALL INSURANCE will ever pay out. So you are looking at getting good used parts from auto salvage...you call it a junk yard...they are in the phone book as auto salvage or auto wrecker though they salvage auto parts.

I can pick up a good runner motor for maybe $200 haul it home and install it with an engine hoist into the truck...and on a 15 year old TRUCK there is bound to be other things that need fixing. He can't prove that everything else is good so it is worth barely above scrap metal pricing. Offer 300 and go from there . Maybe the body is in excellent shape, maybe it is a rust bucket. Besides, I don't need a truck so I am not interested. What can you buy for say $700? Can you get a decent runner? That is without the hassle of doing any work to it. You got to weigh in all the factors.

Paying someone to put a motor in? Will cost you because Joey don't work for free. All the immigrants are stuck in those holding cells at the border so there goes the cheap labor. You got to pay using US dollars.

"NEW" motor in a 2004 truck and the value of the truck in a crash is worth 2004. The new part does not count to the value of the truck.

Not worth it. You GOT TO DO ALL THE WORK YOURSELF AND OWN ALL THE TOOLS AND KNOWLEDGE YOURSELF....and not pay yourself for your time...and really need the truck.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No it is not worth it. It is over 15 years old. And the value is scrap value. $500 is way more than enough. Also the condition of it and options. It maybe worth to fix, maybe. Other things are going to cost besides engine and installation. It may cost $5000 to get it running correctly.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

it's not worth doing. You can go out and buy a running 2004 cheaper than your total investment will be unless you can do all the work yourself which you obviously can't or you wouldn't be asking. if they won't just give you the truck for nothing you don't want it

• 6 months ago

Ask him to put a used engine in it, then offer $1000 plus the cost of the repair if you want it.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

good answer & comment; also, only be a small fortune more for replacing the transmission, radiator, alternator, brakes, exhaust system, hoses, pwr steering, master cylinder, booster, switches, tie rods, shks, tires, & battery! however, repair of any rust/ painting etc wouldNot be included in this!

• 6 months ago

Depending on the engine size and type, expect to pay $4,000 minimum for a rebuilt engine installed and running.

• 6 months ago

Talk to a local mechanic and junk yard.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

At minimum 3 grand. Smart people don't buy things like that from relatives.

• 6 months ago

A vehicle that doesn't run is worth $0.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.