Induction cooker- why do I need specific induction pans/pots to use it with?

What exactly is the difference between induction cooker and normal electric coolers?

Also, what happens if I wanted to use a normal pan to cook with? Will it damage the cooker?

Thank you

Favorite Answer

If you place an aluminum pan on an induction stove top nothing will happen. Same as if you placed your hand on it nothing will happen.

The pan or pot as to be made of a metal/material that a magnet will stick to.

Enameled cast iron will work, stainless steel, cast iron, high carbon steel.

If you want to test how many of your pots or pans will work use a magnet.

If you are looking to buy new cookware look for the induction symbol or take a magnet with you when you shop.

The induction symbol is a series of loops joined, much like you made when you were learning cursive writing (please don't tell me that they do not teach that anymore)

• Janet

Since you are using a magnetic field to heat the pan, the pan MUST be made of something that reacts with a magnetic field.

Stainless steel, cast iron, and even those pots that are steel or iron but clad (such as Le Creuset), work on induction cook tops.

Ceramic, aluminum, copper and glass pots do NOT react to the magnetic field, so they will not heat up. However, if the copper pot is MOSTLY stainless steel and just has a thin layer of copper on its bottom, then it will work.

Actually NORMAL pans, ARE stainless steel ... not the cheap aluminum pans people often buy. Everyone should invest in a decent 5- or 7-layer stainless steel set of pots and pans.

Because pans that are not made of magnetic metal simply won't work. A pan does not need to be labelled as 'suitable for induction'. If a magnet will stick to it, it will work on induction. I bought an induction range last year and the only pot I needed to change was a popcorn maker. All the rest of my stainless pans (except for one stock pot), cast iron, enamelled cast iron, and enamelware pots work fine on the induction, and I've had most of them since before induction ranges were even available for home use so they aren't labelled for it..

Standard electric stoves have a heating element that gets hot. Induction stoves heat with the interaction between its magnets and the pot, so the pot has to react to (attract) a magnet for the heat to generate. If you use a pan that a magnet will not stick to, it will never heat up. In fact, our new induction stove turns off the burner if there is no pan, or the wrong kind of pan. You don’t have to spend a lot on pans and the ease of use makes it worthwhile.

From what I understand induction cooktops only work with cookware that contains iron.