The word “calamity” is tantamount to “evil” in the specific context of Isaiah 45:7. Do you agree or not?

Isaiah 45:7

'I form the light and create darkness,

I make peace and create CALAMITY;

I, the Lord, do all these things.’

By definition, any calamity is bound to entail evil outcome and consequences, but the Creator of such evil must Himself be evil to have caused it.

Do you agree or not?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No. "I make peace and create CALAMITY" Both peace and calamity require definition. i.e., they can be whatever you define them to be.

• BJ
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You state: the Creator of such evil must Himself be evil to have caused it. Do you agree or not? Absolute disagree.

The Meaning of Jehovah’s Bringing Evil. Rightly, Jehovah brought evil or calamity upon Adam for his disobedience.

In the Scriptures, Jehovah is referred to as the Creator of evil or calamity. Isa 45 His enforcing of the penalty for sin, namely, death, has proved to be an evil, or a calamity, for mankind.

Evil is not always synonymous with wrongdoing. Examples of evils or calamities created by Jehovah are the Flood of Noah’s day and the Ten Plagues visited upon Egypt.

But these evils were not wrongs. Rather, the rightful administration of justice against wrongdoers was involved in both cases.

However, at times Jehovah, in his mercy, has refrained from bringing the intended calamity or evil in execution of his righteous judgment because of the repentance on the part of those concerned.

Additionally, in having a warning given, Jehovah has undeservedly provided opportunities for the practicers of bad to change their course and thus to keep living.

Since Jehovah determines the standard of right and wrong, it behooves the individual to acquaint himself with that standard fully in order to be able to discern what course must be followed.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

From the context it is obvious that "calamity" is being used as the opposite of "peace", which does not necessarily indicate evil. A hurricane or tsunami or forest fire can create calamity, but there is nothing "evil" about such natural events.

• 5 months ago

No.

Our Creator blesses his people with peace. Psalm 29:11 Even when bad things happen to them in this world, his people know that this life is not all that there is, and one day bad things will come to an end.

But God does not create evil. With evil things God does not tempt us. Evil is what we do when we disobey our Creator. Psalm 45 in context clearly shows that when people do evil things, evil things happen to them. We reap what we sow. Galatians 6:7

Jehovah God does not need to create evil, any more than if he, the Creator of light, needs to create darkness. Darkness comes when the light goes away. Similarly, evil, or in this case, calamity, comes when people stop doing good things. That is the whole point of God providing us with guidance in order to avoid this calamity. If we obey him, we will avoid it. If we don't, well, Galatians 6:7-8 is working again:

7 Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a person is sowing, this he will also reap; 8 because the one sowing with a view to his flesh will reap corruption from his flesh, but the one sowing with a view to the spirit will reap everlasting life from the spirit.

We cannot avoid this universal law of morality. Obey God, and good things will eventually happen. Disobey him, and bad things will eventually happen. We don't blame God because this is true. We should blame ourselves for imagining that it doesn't work that way. We should also blame ourselves if we imagine that God does not love us enough to give us guidance that will benefit us.

Isaiah 48:17, 18

17 This is what Jehovah says, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel:

“I, Jehovah, am your God,

The One teaching you to benefit yourself,

The One guiding you in the way you should walk.

18 If only you would pay attention to my commandments!

Then your peace would become just like a river

And your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

Source(s): New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Study Edition)
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Anyone who thinks Jehovah is evil does not know him at all. Just because you do not agree with him, does not mean he is evil.

• 5 months ago

God is not evil, but He created both good and evil because man could not understand one without the other. God clearly states in His word that He created both. The word doesn't say "cause" - it says "create."

• black hawk5 months agoReport

But surely, whoever "created" it is also the "cause" of it.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Yeah...and "calamity" was a 19century term for a STD.

Times change

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

The precise words of Jesus Himself from the New Testament, "I have NOT come to bring peace to the world, but a SWORD".

• 5 months ago

No, you are stretching the definition of calamity and confusing undesirable or bad events with evil.

• black hawk5 months agoReport

But the future Tribulation is evil because it will destroy billions of people from off the face of the earth.

• 5 months ago

There are two arenas for mankind, one that glorifies God, and one that does not. The former is dignified from heaven, Romans 4:3, John 12:26. The latter brutalizes mankind, Romans 1:18-32. The Isaiah passage is of the latter condition, and derives from free moral agency on the part of mankind. Mankind's plight is subject to God's righteousness, Jeremiah 9:23-24. Theological "talking points" notwithstanding.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.