I just got my tires replaced. the factory size is 215/45r 18 the shop used 225. Is that a good thing or should I ask for the correct Size?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

That is a good deal that tier is a little wider so it will handle better on the road. Also it should give you better services.

• Marvin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Not a problem if all 4 are done. The slightly larger tyre will absorb bumps just a little better, but not enough to notice. Your odometer might be a little off, but again, not enough to notice.

• opinionated
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

225 and 215 is the width, will not change shown speed because circumference was not changed

• Dan
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

Probably trying to do you a favor. If the 225's are more common they would be cheaper and the difference is very small, not enough to effect your speedometer.

• g
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

So the tire retailer installed a set of 225/45R18 sized tires on a vehicle which the engineers and designers of the vehicle determined 215/45R18 tire would be best? You have to question their logic and motivation to do so.

Will it make a difference to you? It will certainly through off the calibration of your speedometer for damn sure. That is enough to question why the tire retailer would do so.

Will you notice any changes in your handling and control? Maybe. You could also notice a decrease in fuel economy and turning can cornering capability.

If nothing else I would ask the tire retailer "why" they employed the use of a tire than was not designed to outfit your vehicle. They better have a good justification other than that is all they had in stock. .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

If all 4 tires were replaced it's fine.

• F
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

Definitely NOT two sizes on the same axle.

• In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The larger diameter tires will cause your speedometer reading to be off slightly. If the shop didn't have the tires in stock, they should have been able to get them from the warehouse in short order. If it concerns you then take the car back and demand that they put the size the manufacturer specified on your car.

• opinionated
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

only the width is difference, will not change speedo reading

• don r
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Drive it and see if the tires don't scrape in the fenders. Check the speedometer against a gps showing speed. Those things will tell you. Should you ask for the original size? Yes you should ask for what you specified on the purchase and work order. You should not buy something you did not ask for. Your choice- make them do what you know is right, or try out what you are doubtful of.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If the other numbers (45R) are the same, the new tires will also be a little taller. This will make the speedometer read slightly slower than what the actual speed is. The first number,225, is tread width in millimeters. The second number,45R, means the sidewall height is 45 percent of tread width. That would make the tires 9 millimeters taller. Not enough to notice any adverse effects.

• boy boy
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

i agree with the 9mm ...but the tyre is only 4.5 mm taller on the rim ...less than 1/4"

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Not really enough difference in size to make it worthwhile to complain.

• 5 months ago

A slightly wider tire will not be a problem. Ten millimeters is less than one-half inch.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.