Cottage pie, cooking, cooling, reheating?

I ve made cottage pie I cooked my mince cooked my potatoes and assembled it now it s cooling I m the fridge to cook later. . If there s any leftover after that can I still freeze it??

• denise

I would'nt cool it in the fridge, I'd cool it first, then refrigerate it.

Yes, you can freeze the leftovers, I'd put it in a smaller container / s, maybe foil pans?, and bags, then when its thawed, the foil pans / trays are ideal for the oven for re-heating.

Leftovers are fine, you can freeze it as long as you don’t re-freeze after defrosting.

• CottonLockets

Quality/texture may be impaired upon re-freezing.

Also, many pathogens on meat easily survive the cooking process in a vegetated state. So if left out for say 6+ hours thawed in a warm environment, even after being frozen, then that can be unsafe. But only if it is left out for long periods of time

• Cara

It would be best to separate the portions before reheating to eat. Freeze one portion, reheat and eat the other.

of course you can.

Why on earth not??

All those warning about not refreezing foods are bunk. Look it up in USDA food safely food site.

As long as you handle the food correctly and its not spoiled already, its perfectly safe.

Of course you can freeze it! Why wouldn't you be able to? Cottage pie, shepherds pie, lasagne and bolognese are all brilliant dishes to portion out, freeze and have for easy meals. So long as it's cooked, which you stated it was.

Defrosting the meat component will take a while though, so you will need to take it out to defrost hours before eating, or use a low power setting on a microwave.

Side note: you shouldn't really put anything hot in the fridge to cool down, it will skew the fridge's ambient temperature. But it's not a huge deal.