Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 5 months ago

I always find myself doing a "ring check" on random women I see. Is this weird or just a normal response to male desires?

• Elana
    Favorite Answer

I expect it's pretty normal. It is certainly pretty normal for women to check to see if men do even if they have absolutely no interest.

What becomes abnormal is just how much you care about the results and how much you have invested in finding out.

Both genders lie about whether or not they are married. If you see a ring, the only thing you know is that the person wearing it (at least on some level) WANTS you to believe they are married, and this should be enough for you take them at their word for it (even if they are lying and just trying to walk down the street without fending off suitors).

Ever heard of "No means no"? A ring is, at least first blush, "no" unless you happen to be the spouse in question. Even if you are the spouse in question, it certainly doesn't mean "yes".

It is, at best, a squishy message.

• Dick

It's been a reflexive thing for me since I was a teen, in the 1950s.

People size up others within their first five seconds of meeting them. Everything else they learn about them is adapted to that first five second impression. If you see a wedding ring, this immediately determines how you intend to interact with the other person. You can't see them as a potential lover or interact with them in a certain way because of it. Everyone does this to a certain extent determined on the other persons gender, race, clothing, how they talk, etc.

• martin

It's smart to screen out married women unless you want to try to outrun a load of buckshot. You're doing the right thing, if you are looking for a good, lasting relationship with someone.

• Zirp

If you are looking for a girlfriend, it's pretty normal to want to know which ones are already taken - but a ring or not doesn't say much these days.

Personally the first thing I want to know is whether they smoke...

I actually never even think about that. But how do you even tell? Women often wear multiple rings.

• Kowabunga

You can tell because the ring finger when you are married goes on the left ring finger. Like %99 of people dont wear a ring finger on their marriage finger unless they are married or engaged

TBH it's pretty arrogant. I don't wear my wedding ring all the time so if you assume I'm DTF you just because of that you're a pretty overly confident guy.

• Kowabunga

Anonymous- right. i guess she read my answer because she did post after me and just ran with what i said

I actually do it all the time too, well to women that look older and some younger girls in their late 20s, i dont like to double dip and i am not slime ball thats desperate to have sex and end up satisfying that with a girl that is taken. i am also curious the answers you get because i have wondered if i was the only one too

I will admit I look at women sometimes, just because they're nice to look at. (And some of them work very hard at being nice to look at!)

But I never check them for rings. I'm not going to do anything with them anyway.

• Anonymous5 months agoReport

Well, here’s the spark notes: the particularly physically attractive women disproportionately get bigger, brighter stones on their rings.

Should try doing a fist check