How do you be successful on the first day of work?

I'll be starting my first job soon doing inventory/stock and general cleaning at a new hospital cafe. This is my first job ever at the age of 21. I put off getting a job for a while due to Social Anxiety, but now I need to face my fears and start working because I am getting older. How do I be successful on my first day?

• Kyle

Show up early. Better to be 15 minutes early than 10 minutes late. Give yourself plenty of time for when your shift starts, and how traffic is normally at that time, and prepare for alternate routes as needed.

Listen. Bring a notepad if you need to write things down. They may have you shadow a co-worker for a while until you get the hang of it. Watch and learn. Ask questions on procedures, or if anything comes to mind.

They hired you for the job. So they obviously think you are capable of doing it. Keep that in the back of your head. There's always a learning curve though when starting any new job, but it will get easier as time goes on.

Never call off and do what is expected and more, but do not be a chump at the same time. Be interested in the job and a good team player and keep your mind on your job. When someone calls off, volunteer to go in and help. In time there will be promotions and you will be considered.

All teh advice given is great. Just remember - be polite, say yes sir, no sir, please and thank you. Don't let the customers get you rattled - there will always be one or two that are PITAs - if you encounter one,, smile and then ask how would they like their problem solved (get a supervisor to help if you can) - most people just want someone to listen - be the person that listens.

• Judy

listen to what they tell you, and remember as much as you can. You might take along a small notebook that will fit in your pocket and a pen, and take notes. And if you don't know something, ask. Good luck. You'll be ok.

Just do whatever you got to do and don't stress or worry about anything, focus on the task at hand and just be calm, you'll be fine.

Just do what they tell you to do. And the social anxiety will go away the more you do things you are uncomfortable doing.

• Ramona

Show up on time. Take notes of your duties and carry them out.