how to stop in a manual car?

when the road comes to a stop I usually brake a little put my car in neutral and let it coast there and stop it in time.. for example if I was in 3rd I just put it in neutral and stop the car with my brakes (much easier)

but my father told me this technique was wrong I should keep the car in gear until the road comes to a stop then as the car's rpm is about to die I should put it in neutral

what are your thoughts?

and is the way I'm stopping damaging my car?

• Phil M

Shifting down when slowing does not harm the clutch or transmission. Using only the brakes to slow down will decrease brake pad life. Engine compression and brakes together is the best way.

• F

As with oil discussions, half the answers are based on facts from the 1950s. Brakes were all drum then and terrible especially for big heavy American cars. If you didn't use the gears as well, you probably have a serious accident before long. Nowadays all car have discs (at least on the front) and stopping is much safer more controlled.

• F

OK you pay $800 for a clutch and $2000 for a gearbox, I'll pay $100 for brakepads.

You both don't have a clue how to drive.

You downshift as you slow down and when in 2ed gear while braking you push in the clutch pedal and come to a stop. Don't downshift to 1st until at a dead stop or about to be stopped. You don't put the tranny in neutral unless you're going to be sitting for a while at a red light or in traffic jams.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

The smart money is on engine breaking. Sorry, Sonny.

• arther

my father told me this technique was wrong I should keep the car in gear until the road comes to a stop then as the car's rpm is about to die I should put it in neutral .

You're father doesn't like how you're taking you're attention to a gear shift when you start braking just push the clutch in as the car comes close to a stop modern cars have big brakes you'd have to be racing to worry about shifting down under brakes ,brakes are for braking.

So if you have to stop and swurve quickly you have both hands on the wheel not 1 going for the gear stick.

Just brake and dip the clutch just before you come to a complete stop,

Brake pads are cheaper than gear boxes.

• Percyqted

ABS takes away the need to downshift. Just firm pressure on the brake and then dip the clutch just before you come to a stop. The only time you may need to downshift is on a steep inline in a heavy truck. If you have time to downshift just take your foot off the gas, the engine will slow you.

total edit.

too much bickering here. dont listen to qualified ppl. some ppl who answered pay to have the work done. likely never see their old clutch plates. heat are clutches enemy. very little heat caused by down shifting. serious heat can be caused by slipping clutches starting from stand still. especial from those who practice bad habits.

heat is also brakes enemy. one can down shift, saving brakes and have no appreciable wear on clutches. FACT!

we have input from highly qualified established members. click on their name and see for yourself.

• Dan

Hey old man, you're not helping anyone by telling them to burn up their clutch - FACT!

Of course, when you downshift and leave in gear when slowing, you are putting additional wear on the clutch, and piston rings. The vacuum tends to suck more oil down the valve stems which can build carbon deposits in the top end.. All-in-all, brake pads cheaper.

It's been a while since I've had a stick: my practice was to leave in gear, apply breaks as necessary and depress clutch at the point the engine starts to lug......in neutral clutch pedal up and try and anticipate when the light is gonna change to be in 1st gear when it does.

• Bartonovich4 months agoReport

Dan. He was probably using layman’s terms. My aircraft goes below 10 inches manifold absolute pressure because it has a gauge right on the dashboard that says so.

Both ways are fine and don't damage anything, some people prefer one way the other prefer the other way, to each their own.

Uh.. it shouldn’t be in neutral at all.

You’re supposed to downshift as you slow down both to help the car stop and so you’re in the right gear if the light changes as you need to accelerate. The only exception is don’t downshift into first unless you rev match first otherwise you’ll stop uncontrollably and shock load your drive components and possibly overrev your engine.

As you come to a stop you simply push the clutch in. You have to push it in to go from neutral to in gear unless you really hate your transmission (and it will stall anyways) so save yourself some steps.