Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 5 months ago

What illness is this likely to be?

Hi. Last week my 54 year old mum went out with friends and had 3 alcoholic drinks. She got in at midnight, was fine (not drunk) and went to sleep. At 6am she woke up with excruciating pain in her abdomen and I found her unconscious.

She is not a big drinker and she does not smoke, but she does have high blood pressure. The doctor says her blood test results showed a slightly abnormal liver function. There are no other symptoms apart from fatigue and nausea. What could this be?

All I can find is liver cancer (she doesn t have many of the symptoms) or liver damage/disease but this doesn t make sense as she doesn t drink much and is generally in good health...

She has a scan of her liver booked but it s not until next week.

Could be pancreatitis

It is likely to be whatever the doctor diagnoses.

Honestly don't try and speculate, it will drive you crazy. Just hold on until she gets news from the scan.

• y

Wait until the scans and test and such are done or you will stress yourself out. I'm in the same age, have excruciating pain in my abdomen. Although when it started years ago, they thought it was inside, maybe the liver or this and that, poked and prodded, scanned and tested, cameras in both ends trying to figure it out. In my case it is nerve pain, nothing life threatening and such. But the process, what they tested for, jumping from this to that, can be pretty scary. So wait until the test show whatever.